tara

Really need advice

I assume these are the same ones you've posted about in Chickens Tara? - you described them as chicks, I didn't realise they were ducklings........

The same advice for ducklings though..........

If they have just hatched, they won't need any food for at least a day.....

If they are with the hen, she will show them how to eat, but you will need proper Chick Crumb and a small drinker specially for chicks - they could drown in anything else.

If they are in an Eglu then you should fill up the whole of the floor area - over the rungs of the perches - with shavings or Aubiose/Hemcore, and you will need to place a piece of wood securely from the door to out in the run for them to use as a ramp. Place the food and water near the end of the ramp.

.... and you will need to keep any other hens away from the mother and chicks....

It is even more important with ducklings to have a level floor and a ramp. Make sure the ramp is propped securely underneath so that it is level with the Eglu door and won't move about when the mother walks on it. You'll be surprised how robust little ducklings are - and their Mum will look after them.

She won't take them to deep water until she is ready to and you'll need ramps for the ducklings to get in and out of the water.

Really sorry only put on other thread as needed advice quick and l did not say they were duckings because it was the chicken one.I asume ducklings and chicks have sort of the same needs at these first few days.Thankyou you all sorry for being naughty but it was for a good reason :shock: .I have

1. Put on gloves so not to get my smell on them.

2.Put loads of straw in the main part.

3.Moved all the ducking and eggs to the new nest l did put her old one in there to.

4.They now have very shallow drinking water not big enough for them to sit in just drink from.Also they have there food in there shallow again.

5.They are all cuddled up to there mum so they can get warm.

6.There is a small ramp they can get up and down.

There must be around 10 by the looks of it including eggs to hatch l will now keep my eyes on them.Only found 1 dead 1 so not to bad the rest look like there doing well. :D

Well done Tara.

Keep a close eye on them and watch that the straw doesn't get tangled round their legs.

If you can get hold of some Aubiose or Hemcore it might be a good idea to swap it when you can.

Also...keep an eye that mother duck is eating and drinking.

Keep us posted won't you. :lol:

Hello thanks for all you replys l found this about sawdust

Although white wood shavings can be lethal for rearing young ducklings (because they eat them in the first week or two) shavings or co"Ooops, word censored!" sawdust are ideal bedding for adults. If the bedding stays relatively dry, the shavings/sawdust can just be topped

On the call duck website :D

Took some pics yesterday

babyducks005.jpg

babyducks002.jpg

babyducks001.jpg

Hope you all enjoy looking ill get more as the grow and post them here. :D

There are 7 chicks and 6 eggs still in nest they are going in and out the eglu with there mum this morning.Wow to have this happening in my garden :D:D:D Also the dad is dark and the mum light so would the boys be dark like there dad and the girls light like there mother????

Well done Tara - seems like you've got it all under control now - lovely photos 8)

I realised that I'd just copied my 'chick' reply into here - what I should have done was change the bit about covering the roosting bars - for Ducks, you wouldn't have the roosting bars in anyway!

I've found the photos of our ducklings - we filled the whole area with straw and made the straw ramp down to floor level outside

2005_0709Ducklings20004.jpg

2005_0709Ducklings0004.jpg

Hope this helps. We used an under bed storage crate as their pond because it fitted just inside the run and could be emptied easily, we put a house brick outside and one inside for them to use as steps. They manage extremely well - although your Calls may be a bit smaller than our Campbells.

I hope you find time to enjoy them Tara - I'm sure you will have plenty of other things to sort out in the next few weeks.

Aww they are so sweet :D

There is a very good method of keeping their water dish full.

All you need is one of those little plastic bottles you buy water or fizzy drinks in.

Just make four very little holes or slits around the base of the bottle, just a tiny fraction below the level you want the depth of the water to be in the dish, then fill the bottle with water and screw the cap on tightly.

Now gently loosen the cap till water starts to drip from the holes and stand the bottle in the water dish, when the water in the dish reaches the point just above the holes the water will stop coming out of the bottle, when the level in the dish drops below the holes the water will flow again and keep the dish filled :D you can adjust the flow of the water by tightening/loosening the bottle cap.

To prevent the bottle falling or getting knocked over onto the babies, just tie some string round the neck of the bottle then tie it to the top of the run.

There were 7 chicks but found 1 dead the other 6 are really doing well tho.There were 6 eggs this morning at 6.50am then when l went to see them at 8.30 l found that one of the eggs had hatched l found the chick dead in the run.I think it must have wondered out and got cold l found it in a small puddle in the run.So with that l have been checking on them just looking through the run in to the eglu to make sure all looks ok.Im hoping there wont be any more deaths.I want to keep them all but will be keeping boys and girls apart.I know its silly but just want to watch them grow and keep them safe here.If any one else took them id be worring about them. :) Incase they were eaten or somthing........

Edited by Guest

You may find that Mummy duck doesn't want to be bothered with more than 6 :? - just keep an eye on the eggs.

Last year I think our duck sat on about 12 eggs, hatched one which was fine, hatched another which she pushed away and ignored all the other eggs and just left them to go cold. She only raised the one duckling.

My ducklings are running in and out the eglu and eating and drinking.There is a very small puddle and they seem to enjoy sitting and drinking from it.There making lots of noises and mum is doing a brilliant job of watching them.My little girl loves watching them and well all enjoy watching them grow.will keep every one posted and will put more pics on :D

The eggs in her nest feel cold l thought l would remove them a few a day so she gets used to them going.But dont want to kill any ducklings that are going to hatch. :?

Update one of the eggs was sligty cracked so l took alittle bit of shell of and saw a dead chick inside plus l noticed that shes not sitting on them any more shes sitting next to them looking afder the chicks she has.So ive decided to remove the remaining eggs.Shes done so well l guess shes put her energy in to the chicks she has.I love watching her call them back in to the eglu brilliant. :dance:

Edited by Guest