xChicken04x

Very excited! *Update again, it's started to pip!!!!*

Hi all, well I'm very excited, I have ordered my incubator set (this one: http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Ascott_Complete_Home_Hatchery_Incubator.html)

and have decided to get some duck eggs! I ordered six Silver Appleyard eggs from a nice lady on eBay and they will be arriving tomorrow *gulp.* It's all very exciting, but I don't want to get my hopes up right now until we have candled them at eight days.

This is what they look like at adults:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Ducks

And this is what they should look like as ducklings:

appleyardduckling2.jpg

Anyway, just thought I would share my news.

All going well, I will report back tomorrow :anxious:.

xx

Edited by Guest

Be warned it can become an obsession :lol:

I always find myself egg watching, it's so weird.

I find myself standing just watching the eggs :shock:

Nothings happening :? but I can stand there just looking at them for five or even ten minutes at a time :shock: LOL

I can't get the incubator link to open and don't recognise the name of the one you have, does it have an automatic turner?

I have two goose eggs in one of my incubators at the moment :D

And like you I am expecting some eggs I bought from e.bay tomorrow.

Mine are Silkie Bantam eggs :)

Good luck with the incubating and Enjoy :D

Carol

Ok- the link should work now :D.

I'm soooooo excited too. I will be eagerly awaiting the post tomorrow. I found my self stood, smiling at the incubator this morning :shock::?. I was day dreaming I think...... :anxious:.

The incubator isn't automatic, I will have to turn them my self every 4 hours :roll:. Nver mind, it will hopefully be worth it,

xx

:lol: Aaah yes :wink:

Smiling at the incubator :lol:

Definatly a sign of a dedicated egg watcher :wink:

I am assuming you have had all the good advice and done your research, but just in case.

Don't forget to leave your eggs to stand for at least twelve hours pointy end down, to reach room temperature before putting them in the incubator :wink:

Don't always turn your eggs in the same direction, turn them one way then next time turn them back the other way, otherwise it puts a strain on those stringy bits that keep the embryo suspended inside the shell (can't remember what they are called) :)

I always kept a list when I had to turn the eggs manually.

I put the time and whether I turned them to the left or the right

I put an x on one side and a circle on the other(using a pencil, not pen) to help keep track.

Carol

Don't worry all the research has been done :wink:.

The stringy things in the egg are called the chalazae. I have my calander at the ready, so I can record wether the eggs sleep on the X side or the O side, so they are on different sides each night.

I'm really excited about meeting our eggs. I will leave them to sit for 12 hours (pointy end down), whilst the incubator warms for them.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight :oops:.

xx

I know! The incubator is staying in my room, on the dressing table 8) For that reason. I have solemnly promised my self:

*ahem* "You are not to open the incubator to look at the eggs/ducklings. You are only to open the incubator to turn the eggs and to give them a quick spray with water to keep the humidity up. If/when the ducklings the ducklings hatch, you are only to open the incubator when they have fluffed up, or if they are struggling and you need to put the humidity up."

Hope everything goes Ok tomorrow.

I will report back....I think I need some sleep now :D.

xx

Don't worry about the four hours thing. The normal advice is three times a day so first thing, noon and bedtime will be fine (just make sure you do it an odd amount). I put a cross on one side of my eggs but I put a number on the other so I can make sure theyre all turned and also know which egg is from which source and also keep track when I've practised my candling. Manual incubators are great for a few chook eggs but I wish I had an automatic when it came to turning all the quail eggs. Man tha is a faff.

I don't mind turning the eggs, it makes me feel like I helped them hatch and I've been a sort of Mum to them :oops:, rather than leaving it to a machine. I can't see us ever incubating a huge amount of eggs, if we do, an automatic one would be better.

They still haven't arried, the lady has promised they will today, It's only 9:00, she said they will arrive before one........What am I supposed to do for four hours :shock:.

I will let you know when they arrive, and I will take pictures.....Ok I know they are eggs.....But still, I want to show you every stage :lol:.

xx

Glad yours have arrived :D

Mine haven't :evil:. The neighbours are cleaning their car, whenever I hear a car door I run to the window to greet the postie, it's never him :(.

I can't even go to the kitchen to make a cuppa tea because I wont hear the door.

*sigh* I just keep remembering "Good things come to those who wait."

xx

Oh Hunni :cry:

What time does your post normally come?

I knew mine would be around eleven cos thats the time my post always comes.

If you paid for special next day delivery it is guarateed before 1pm

so not long to wait.

Maybe you could find a bit of weeding to do in the front garden or something,

that way you will see the postman coming.

I'm getting anxiouse for you now LOL :lol:

It's Ok, they will hopefully arrive soon.

They where posted Monday morning, I paid £8 for special delivery, to arrive the next day before one. The post usually comes about half past ten. Its now 11:45.

Hmmmm, wonder were they are :?.

The poor little things, I hope they aren't waiting round in a factory :(.

I will let you know when they arrive......If they arrive :?.

xx

WOOhoooooooooooo!

Now a nice cup of tea and sit down and give them a good talking to :lol:

Tell them you are expecting them to be good little eggs and hatch without any bother at all :wink:

Really pleased for you, don't forget pictures please?

Mine are settling in the kitchen now, pointy end down.

A row of tiny miniature black silkie bantams at the front and a row of larger white silkie bantams at the back.

:lol:

Awww bless them :D.

Mine are in their polly box still (point end down of course :wink:), but with the lid off to get used to the temperature.

They are huge! An off white colour, a bit mucky :?.

With "AS 1" and "AS 2" on them standing for Silver Appleyard in breeding pen one or two.

I will post pictures later :D.

xx

When they hatch you should take pictures of the ducklings next to the shells, then each week take another so you can see how much they are growing :lol:

Tried to get my daughter to take a picture of ours but she is too busy , her boyfriend is here :x

When are they going into the incubator?