xChicken04x

Very excited! *Update again, it's started to pip!!!!*

I SAW SOMETHING!!!!!!

Last night I was turning the eggs and the light through the incubator lid shone through one of the eggs and I saw a bubble thing at the top! I thought it was just a shadow but it is most definatly something! I checked the others, nothing :cry:. This morning I was turning them again, and I checked one at random and it has one too! It's not the same as last nights I put my name on the one I saw last night :oops:.

This is what I saw!

Isawthisintheegg.jpg

Here's the website:

http://backyardchickens.com/LC-candling.html

YAY!

xx

Thats the air sac, it's a good sign :)

Wait till you see an embryo move :shock:

You will have to make sure you don't drop the egg when that happens :wink:

A few more days and you should see blood vessels forming

It's so exciting isn't it?

Do I remember rightly? you got a candler in with the incubator kit?

I use one of those little keyring led lights, it's surprising how powerfull the light is from one of those.

Yep, I've got a candler :D.

It's less expensive to buy a set of incubator, brooder lamp, candler, feeding/drinking holders etc. It was about £96 all together.

I can't wait to candle them, I will have to wait a good few days though :(. I'm getting worried that only 2 are fertile, I don't mind having just two ducklings, I just don't want a lone one. We have no breeders at all that we could buy day old ducklings off :(. Someone is at home pretty much all day so if we did get only one duckling someone would be with it all the time. Ideally I would like at least 3 hatch.

Last night there was only one with an air sac, this morning there was another one, I'm hoping the others are just a bit slower and will catch up in the next few days :?.

What do you think?

xx

Hi Chicken

Another day or so and you might be able to see the spidery blood vessels in the eggs :)

I checked my Bantam eggs today and can just make out the little embryo's :D

I think they start to develope a little bit sooner than duck eggs as their incubation time is three weeks as opposed to a ducks four weeks.

Unfortunatly I think my goose eggs are no good :(

They have been in the incubaor for a week now and still no sign of blood vessels :cry:

*Holds hands up* Ok, I done a REALLY naughty thing last night.

I candled the eggs But, I did have a very valid reason for it....Which I will think of later......:anxious:.

The humidity chamber needed topping up, which needs the lid taken off anyway. So while I was there I candled them. I first candled my egg, nothing but the air sac :( I candled the others and they have like an orange/red yolk. It was like a big fuzz of red :shock:.

Not too sure what it means, but five out of six had this red fuzz in them. Not spider like veins, but a fuzz.

They have only been in their four days (five if you count the first 24 hours.) Does this mean they are fertile?

Sorry to hear about the goose eggs :cry: I would give them a few more days, I think they are incubated for about 50 days aren't they? It may be too early yet. What where you planning to do with them?

The bantam eggs sound promising though :D

xx

I incubated 6 duck eggs, 5 were fertile. I candle chicken eggs at 3 days and can already see veins but with the duck eggs it was about 5/6 days before I saw veins and I was sure about fertility by day 8 - I suppose this is about right as they're incubated for a week longer.

I had 5 little ducks jumping around in the eggs then quite late on, just before they came of cradle 3 of them died. So I had 2 hatch. I think the late deaths may be because duck eggs are much more responsive to variations in humidity, and I may have been candling them too much (I candle my chicken eggs every couple of days and have always had good hatches)..

Fine :D

One had to be thrown away because it was completly clear. When I smashed it, it stank :vom:. I'm glad I threw it away when I did otherwise it probably would have exploded :shock:.

I candled them at day six, saw one with vains and the other had a bright orange/red yolk. I'm going to candle them again soon, it's now day nine so hopefully it will be a bit clearer if they are fertile.

I'm worried that only one is fertile, if so, I will phone the very few breeders in our area on the weekend and ask for some day old ducklings to keep the lonely one company, that's if it hatches at all. The breeders near us only really do chickens though.

I will let you know how I get on *gulp*

How are your banty eggs doing?

xx

YAY! Lonely duckling has pipped! I went to top the water up, ready for the hatch, and I whistled at the eggs for a bit of encouragement, and he turned over to show a dent in the shell, he rolls over when I whistle or cheep at it! I've left the other eggs in there, just in case, but I doubt much will happen with them! Ohhhhh, I'm soooooooo excited!

xx

Hi Duckmomma, the hatch went perfect :D:D:D.

I'd been watching all night, he wasn't making any progress, just a tiny hole. I got u at about 11.30am to make a cuppa and when I came back he was half way out :shock::shock::shock:. Then about a minute later, with one big kick he was out :shock:. I nearly missed it all too.

He is fine, up and about, just a bit lonely, so I'm looking for a friend for him.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Pipped.....

Emb021.jpg

Still pipping......

Emb024.jpg

Still Pipping.....

Emb025.jpg

13 hours later.....

Emb026.jpg

Getting some were....

Emb027.jpg

Nearly there....

Emb029.jpg

Dadaaaaaaaaaaaa

Emb030.jpg

Decided he doesn't want to be out in a huge incubator, so curls up.

Emb031.jpg

Still curled up...

Emb032.jpg

Slowly getting used to being in the big wide world...

Emb033.jpg

4 hours later....

Emb034.jpg

Very tired...

Emb035.jpg

Fluffed up and awake...

Emb036.jpg

Still getting cuddled...

Emb037.jpg

And a few of his first bath time. As soon as I put his dish of water in his brooder, he was in it straight away :roll:. So I thought he would like a nice warm bath.

He stands for some reason like an Indian Runner :?.

Emb040.jpg

Little swim...

Emb039.jpg

And a warm drink...

Emb038.jpg

Hope you like them!

How did your hatches go Duckmomma?

xxx

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooo sweet :lol:

Worth the wait I would say :wink:

My lot were a disaster,one incubator packed up in the last few days :evil:

I lost three in that.

from the others only one hatched crippled and lived six days :cry:

My goose eggs are due to hatch in about eight days

Hope I have better luck with them

Oh and six frizzled poland bantam eggs arrived this morning :wink:

Oh Duckmomma, sorry to hear about the not so good hatch :cry:.

Glad to see you haven't given up with incubation.

Frizzled Poland's eh? Ohhhhhhhhh.

I haven't quite got round to cracking them open yet :oops:. I've left them in there in the vain hope of getting one more......although I know I wont. I'm not feeling too good today I have M.E (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) meaning I'm always sleepy and when I don't get enough sleep (for reasons such as, waiting up all night for the duckling to hatch :oops:) I get very tired and feel queasy. So I'm not too sure if I want to crack one open in case it smells :?. I'm guessing they will?

Have you got more goose eggs, or are they the same ones that you thought were duds? How many eggs have you got in the incubator? What are you planning to do with the geese?

Ohhhh I'm very jealous! I can't hatch chicken eggs because of neighbours and cockerels, I take it your in the countryside? Or are you going to sort out the cockerels your self?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm intrigued :oops:.

xx