Emma

To compost or not to compost

I don't have a compost bin at the moment but I do have a veggie patch. Has anyone been putting the chicken poo straight onto their veggie patch :?: I have heard conflicting reports that it is and isn't too strong to use neat(in other words not composted).

I was hoping to put it straight onto the soil below my fruit bushes :!:

Any advice greatfully recieved :D

Sorry but I do seem to be asking the forum a lot of questions since I got my girls last week :oops:

You've all been very kind in replying and helping me out. THANKYOU HEAPS :lol:

Emma! Ask all the questions you want!!! That's what the forum's here for - not just for us to gossip on :wink: !

I heard that you can throw the droppings directly onto the vegetable garden but not onto flowering plants because it's too strong for them. Last year, I did put them onto the veggie garden but as it backs onto the fence between us and the neighbour we don't get on with, LSH suggested I put them onto the compost heap instead so she had no excuse to complain!!

If anyone knows anything different about using droppings directly on veggies, please post away. I can't remember where I read the information!

I read the same thing Kate it is too strong to use neat on flowers but I think it will be OK on fruit trees and veg.........I think it was Sarah that suggested making it into a liquid feed by adding water and this dilutes it abit this is how I have been using it on the veg patch and everything is growing fine.......I just collect it up in an old bucket and add water and let it dissolve........... :lol:

8) Hi .. yep was me who suggested the Liquid Poop :wink: . Basically, put the poo in old bucket add water and let fermant. Again .. as the others have mentioned .. do not put on flowers, as is too strong.

I also dig in poo to the beds in winter .. flower beds too, as this composts right down in time for spring. And if I can't be bothered making poo soup .. I just empty the droppings on the veg patch, and water in. Also, just be carful ... root veg are not too keen on chicken poo, its better for the nitrogenous plants ... eg, beans, peas, pumpkins, corgettes (all the broad green leafy stuff) :D .

Hi Emma,

Best of all though, get a compost bin...or make a heap if you have space.

I really would recommend a compost bin to anyone with a garden, even a tiny one.

I remember one year my sis phoned on our wedding anniversary & asked what sort of day I'd had.

"Oh I've had a really fantastic day...I've been moving the compost bins (emptying, filling, turning etc) A perfect day!"

We've got one of those Sarah. We had a 6 week trial with it and then paid something like £15 for it at the end of the trial. We knew we wanted to keep it as we'd had a wooden compost bin for years which was falling apart! This new one is like a large dustbin with a lid and a hatch at the bottom so you can dig out the finished compost. It's great and doesn't take up a lot of room yet it holds so much.

quick reply, not logged in

Yep you can put the poops straight on the veg patch, i have and the chooks cabbages are coming on a treat. I would make sure you at least turn over the soil a little to stop the poos smelling too much and to help them rot down

I got the same deal from my council too. I got a good solid compost bin and a little caddy bin to collect veggie peelings etc to take to the compost bin later. I mainly put the droppings in the compost bin as the sawdust we use in the tray is also good for drying out my usually too wet heap, but I have put some straight onto some hedging plants so that the sawdust can act as a mulch as well as the benefits of the girls droppings.

:oops::lol: Thank goodness a few have replied re.cheap compost kits from the council .. thought I may have just imagined that one when sat behind a "rubbish eater" (bin lorry .. Joe calls them eaters :roll: ), last week, now I am reminded might just get one myself. 8)

Our new neighbours to be who we already know, thought the compost bin in their new garden was a cess pit........ :lol::lol::lol: they don't do gardens, so I kindly offered to remove it for them once they move in. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I wil get a free compost bin.......Only trying to help out the new nieghbours, you have to do your bit. I also offered to look after the veg patch so you never know, I might be able to let the girls out in my garden and they won't be able to get at the veg.....

Wow so many replies :lol: Thanks. My local council has advertised compost bins for a fiver and I was planning on getting one. But in the meantime I think I'll make chicken poo soup :?

Sounds like a fun thing todo :!::!::!:

I'll let you know what my crop of soft fruits are like later on this year after they've been well and truely chicken pooped. :wink:

hi, i've just stated a compost heap because i've just spent ages digging up all the overgrown bits from my garden. i'm not very green fingered so i don't really know the best way to go about it. i'm going to look into the idea that you've all suggested about getting a bin from the council but for now alex has built a wooden structure/box/thing. should i be putting worms & snails on the heap or am i best just letting nature take it's course.

i'm sorry if i sound dumb but i am a bit. :wink: