Geoid

Fuming!

Grrrr, I am SOO angry :evil:

I went into Woolworths today and tried to buy a DVD, they wanted some ID, so I showed them my birth certificate, they said it needed a photo (not true) so I got my oyster card out, which has photo and full name on it (but no DOB) and said My oyster has my name on it, the same as my birth certificate. An employee looks at my birth certificate and says 'I could make this at home' to which I replied 'I would like to see you try' (birth certificate has holograms etc) to which the employee says 'Im not going to sell you it now' :evil: The guy has not only lied saying I need photo ID he also implied that I had forged my birth certificate! :evil:

Anyway I went to asda and got the DVD there, no problem (I also emailed Head Office and Trading Standards....hehehe)

Think about it Fred - that poor person has to work in Woolies all day so they need a little power trip occasionaly over those of you who don't have to work there!

I guess the film had to be age appropriate - Fred is still young! Can't remember the last time anyone asked me for ID!

Recived an email from Woolworths today:

On receipt of your e-mail I contacted the Store Manager to gain an in sight into the incident.

He has spoken with member of staff involved and as is sometimes the case in these matters, there is a slightly different interpretation about the course of events, and although it is unfortunate, I don’t think we will resolve the situation in terms of gaining agreement between you and the store.

Please be advised that our stores have a duty to ensure that we do not sell DVD’s to underage people and as such the staff have to be vigilant at all times. If at any time the staff has cause to doubt the age we can refuse the sale.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I do hope that despite this unfortunate incident, you will not be deterred from shopping with Woolworth’s in the future.

To which I relpyed:

Being accused of forging my birth certificate is not acceptable. I will no longer be shopping from Woolworths in the future, until I receive some sort of compensation.

Now they are saying:

Thank you for your reply.

Please be advised that we do not offer compensation only gestures of goodwill. However, as the store did not feel that you had adequate proof of age we feel that a goodwill gesture is not warranted on this occasion.

Of course, we value all customers so it was sad to read that you no longer wish to shop with us. We hope that at some time in the future you may review this decision in which case we would welcome back your custom.

Value all customers my a**! What more proof of age do they want! gah!

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

By asking for compensation, you've proved that it was not the an apology for being accused of forging a birth certificate, and rather some kind of gain you were after. You need to realise that a birth certificate is not an aceeptable form of ID, becuase it is not photographic - gone are the days when a birth certificate would be accepted in pubs or shops, precisely because they are one of the most forged items going. It doesn't mean the shop assistant was on a 'power trip' or being a 'jobsworth', did you stop to think that maybe, just MAYBE they were doing as they had been instructed to do by a manager, or *shock, horror* THE LAW? If they suspected you were too young to buy an age restricted product, (and yes, that includes DVDs and computer games) then by law, they have to get a PROPER proof of age, or they could end up with the sack. And some people work in shops, because THEY NEED THE MONEY, and can't afford to risk losing their job over some kid who can't prove his age? Head Offices send out under age shoppers specifically to test staff.

Not everyone who works in a shop, be it Woolies, Asda, Tesco or your local corner shop, is as thick as *whatever* and out to try and make life hard for the customer.

I suppose you are right....

I was only asking for compensation to see if I would get any :lol: I was thinking these big companys would give out somthing as an apology.

In your dreams Fred!

Shona is right.....and so is the store, when they say that here are two very different versions of events etc.

Put it down to experience.

You'd be lucky to get compensation out of Woolworths Fred. They aren't making that much money and haven't for a while. Plus they treat their staff badly-my sister had a friend who worked for them and they mucked him around an awful lot.

Judging by that they treat their customers badly too and obviously didn't see that accusing someone of forging their birth certificate isn't very nice or on.

I used to work in an off-license to help fund my studying at uni, and we were only allowed to accept a passport, driving license, or something called a "Proove it!" card (the last being really obscure!). This was about 15 years ago. It didn't matter if someone could produce another form of ID that was totally convincing - thats all we could accept.

You can get such enourmous fines as a retailer if you make mistakes, also publicity etc etc, that even if some customers got annoyed the impact of losing them was tiny compared to the potential impact of getting caught out selling to underage people.

It's not only the fines, if it concerns selling alcohol, the store could lose their liquor license. This happened not that long ago, I believe to a branch of Tesco - they appealed the decision, but for over a week they could not sell ANY alcohol in the store. Think of the losses involved (not that I have much sympathy with Tesco!) and next time you are queuing and the checkout assistant has to wait for a supervisor to check any bottles of wine through, this is why - they are just protecting their licence.

It's not quite the same with DVDs, but I tend to agree with what others have said, Fred - probably the assistant didn't have great customer skills and could have phrased it better, but they will have a strict list of what is acceptable ID, and a birth certificate unfortunately doesn't prove anything.

I don't know what is available in the way of photo ID if you are below driving-license age, but there must be something out there? It might be worth finding out (probably not from your local Woolworths, after this! :wink: ) what stores do find acceptable? Then you won't face this problem again. You definitely don't want to be carrying passports or birth certificates around, the risk of losing them is far too great.

I got asked for Id the other day in Asda for a 15 cert DVD, baring in mind, i had seth in the Trolley, paid with a Business banking card which said MRS on it.

She said, 'got any I.D luv'

I said: What????

''got any i.d for the dvd''

[i didnt at the time, how stupid] So roshad to pay for it. Im 22 this year and most people think i look about 27.

I think she was just being a jobsworth.

chin up fred.

I got asked for Id the other day in Asda for a 15 cert DVD, baring in mind, i had seth in the Trolley, paid with a Business banking card which said MRS on it.

She said, 'got any I.D luv'

I said: What????

''got any i.d for the dvd''

[i didnt at the time, how stupid] So roshad to pay for it. Im 22 this year and most people think i look about 27.

chin up fred.

Oh dear Laura - I wouldn't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult either! :shock::lol:

AGAIN I must reiterate, staff in shops and supermarkets are, on occasion told to ID ANYONE who buys an age restricted product. My father (75) was ID'd by a slightly embarrassed assistant last year when he tried to buy a bottle of wine from his local Co-op, because the shop had been fined by the police the week before for selling an Certificate 18 DVD to an under-cover 15 year old.

Believe me, getting attitude from incredulous customers, who can't believe they are being ID'd doesn't exactly make check-out operators fill with 'misplaced' feelings of superiority over the customer steaming at them over the till.....

AGAIN I must reiterate, staff in shops and supermarkets are, on occasion told to ID ANYONE who buys an age restricted product. My father (75) was ID'd by a slightly embarrassed assistant last year when he tried to buy a bottle of wine from his local Co-op, because the shop had been fined by the police the week before for selling an Certificate 18 DVD to an under-cover 15 year old.

Frankly, I think this is absolutely ridiculous :shock: If somebody asked me

for ID if I was buying a bottle of wine, I would not purchase the wine from

that store. I am generally very polite and mild mannered but I would not

stand for this kind of rubbish.

Tessa.

Frankly, I think this is absolutely ridiculous :shock: If somebody asked me

for ID if I was buying a bottle of wine, I would not purchase the wine from

that store. I am generally very polite and mild mannered but I would not

stand for this kind of rubbish.

Tessa.

My point is, it's not rubbish - if a manager tells you to ID everyone for an age restricted sale, and you don't, then you get fired. Fines for staff and managers are huge, if they get caught selling to under-agers. It's as plain and simple as that. If less people tried to break the law, and buy these products illegally, then there wouldn't be a problem.

My point is, it's not rubbish - if a manager tells you to ID everyone for an age restricted sale, and you don't, then you get fired. Fines for staff and managers are huge, if they get caught selling to under-agers. It's as plain and simple as that. If less people tried to break the law, and buy these products illegally, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I understand your point about carrying out orders, and huge fines. I just

think there is a HUGE difference in trying to work out if a mature looking 16yr

old is over 18 or a young looking 21yr old (Laura) is over 15 in comparison

with a 75yr old man buying a bottle of wine. I really pity any member of staff that has to ID obviously elderly people, the aggro they get must be really

bad, but in my opinion totally understandable.

Nothing personal against you Chookiehen, lie back down on your sofa :)

Tessa

I can understand shops/employees have rules (I work in customer service myself)

but asking a grown adult for ID to buy a 15 cert CD is absolutely ludicrous and I agree with Tessa if someone asked me for ID at a till to buy wine (when im 30-something) I would go somewhere else and buy it!

I feel sorry for the shop assistants having to ask, but the difference between asking a 14/15 year old and a 75 year old is huge.