kazaddress

spending time with your chooks

how much time do you get to spend with your girls?

I spend about 15mins every morning with them, when i give them their porridge and fresh veg.

Then about 15mins when i get home from work, when i change their food / water and clean out their nest before they go to bed.

at the weekends when im gardening they help dig up the soil (as im trying to sew seeds) :evil:

:D lol

can not wait till summer when i can eat breakfast in the garden with them!

Similar, maybe 5-10 mins in morning and 15 after work. Weekends longer. and I spend ages watching them through the window, and they watch me back. :D

Mine spend all day digging up the soil. They have dug a new trench on the slope. We are hoping they will level off the lawn for us as we are hoping to move the eglu onto barkchips.

My time with the hens varies throughout the week gepending on work committments, and for the past 6 months I've barely seen them at all on a Wednesday because I don't get home until after dark and they're always roosting by then. I can't wait for the clocks to change this weekend so that I can spend time with them on a Wednesday too. Every other day I'm normally around in the afternoons and evenings, and am constantly watching them, in and out of the garden for a chat and so on.

I just love the way that I only need to touch the back door handle and they've heard it and are running up to see me :P

OK, I know it's not me they want, more like treats or access to the house, but I still love it :wink:

My time with the hens varies throughout the week depending on work committments, and for the past 6 months I've barely seen them at all on a Wednesday because I don't get home until after dark and they're always roosting by then. I can't wait for the clocks to change this weekend so that I can spend time with them on a Wednesday too. Every other day I'm normally around in the afternoons and evenings, and am constantly watching them, in and out of the garden for a chat and so on.

I just love the way that I only need to touch the back door handle and they've heard it and are running up to see me :P

OK, I know it's not me they want, more like treats or access to the house, but I still love it :wink:

I love the way they thunder down the lawn when I go out :D If I forget to take anything for them, they mug me!

Yep, but mine mug me food or not. I can't get through the door to the pen anymore without lifting chickens out of the way.

They've taken to perching on the fence again ever since John's family were visiting and the chickens had 5 people at the window looking at them.

I am rather naughty and spend hours outside with them - even in awful weather, as I am retired. I like to stand and watch them, sit and watch them, go in and pick them up, stroke them, talk to them - a bit daft really.

I expect that once the summer is here, they might come up the allotment with me to do a bit of scratching about, and once the fence is repaired then they will get to roam the garden when I am home and OH isn't!

They are terrible time wasters, we watch them from our conservatory where we eat, and OH gives me a running commentary - and that is from a man who was dead set against them!

My two don't get much time at all mid week. Let out in the morning (into the run), before I go to work, so possibly 5 minutes, then in the evening when I get home, maybe 10 whilst I change water, top up food etc. The weekend is different: They get let out of the run and get to chill out with the donkeys. They follow them everywhere.

When we muck out on a Sunday morning, they spend two delightful hours getting in the way, dodging pitchforks :shock::shock: , stealing bits of straw off the muck sack, throwing themselves into the path of oncoming wheelbarrows etc. I am out there, supposedly doing my share, but in reality spend nearly all of the time crying with laughter at OH who pretends its SO tedious. WHen he thinks I'm not there though, I hear him talking to them as he works! :wink:

Taking the conversation in a slightly different direction - did anyone else enjoy a chuckle watching the flock of chickens on 'Jimmy's Farm' last Tuesday as they charged after the mini trcuk bringing their food rations? All you could see in the camera shot were chicken bottoms rocking from side to side 8) and chickens wings trying to flap themselves along faster in their haste. Fabulous.

I love watching mine hop off the patio on to the grass below. The guys that made 'Chicken Run' got it perfect. :D

H

Kooringa, how can it be bad to spend time with chickens? It is nice to have the time, they are lovely little things. I would spend ages with them if I was around more.

AnnieP, I love the image of chickens following donkeys, don't the donkeys mind, or the chickens feel nervous at all?

Kooringa, how can it be bad to spend time with chickens? It is nice to have the time, they are lovely little things. I would spend ages with them if I was around more.

AnnieP, I love the image of chickens following donkeys, don't the donkeys mind, or the chickens feel nervous at all?

The donkeys tolerate them, like they are little children to be indulged. My heart does fly to my mouth sometimes when the chooks decide they are going to peck around the donks feet though!