Now I'm getting confused as the omlet site says that the normal cube and run is enough space for 6 chickens

This 2mx1.2

In fact its slitly less than 2 m as they seem to include the skirt in this.

anyway 2mx1.2=2.4

Its been said on the forum a few times recently that we should allow 1m^2 for each chicken. Then if this is the case then the cube run is way way too small. Even my run which has two extentions for 7 girls is too small as it is 1.2 x 4= 4.8

Whos right? whats enough

I'm still planning my new run and can't work out what on earth to do and if its worth it

I have two extensions for the cube with 7 hens and I don't think that it is large enough as I have heard that you have to allow 1 square mtr for each hen. I am looking into having a run built later this year that will have 28 square mtrs of floor space.

I think the 1 sq metre per hen is the luxury end of the scale when you remember that the minimum legal requirement is about the size of a piece of A4 paper.

Personally I like my hens to be able to stretch their wings fully and walk more than a few paces when confined, that is why I added a converter and extension to each Eglu.

I remember thinking when I briefly had my cube set up in the garden (have now changed it for an Eglu), that it would be very cramped to fit 6 chickens in the run. The house is great, you could fit loads in there cuddled up (here speaks the voice of experience! :?).

But if you can't free range them much then 6 in the cube run would be very cramped I would think.

It depends on whether your hens are in a fixed run, or whether you move the run about to give them access to fresh grass.

If your run is fixed then you need to allow much more space per hen.

Even if you move the run regularly it still isn't big enough for 6 hens. The run is actually really small I think.

Omlet need to re-word their advertising stuff I think - there is now way I would leave 6 full sized hens in a standard cube run for a long period of time.

You are right! It is a bit small for a permanent run.

We have six in a standard run and have had a few problems with feather pecking which I put down to lack of space. I could be wrong, we might just have hooligan chickens!

We had no problems in the summer when they got to play out a lot, but since they have been cabined up a lot more in the winter they have been rather naughty.

I am in the process of building a much bigger run and I hope this will solve the problem.

It's getting embarrasing, a couple of them are starting to look like ex-batts

:oops::oops:

Kev.