Boris70

egg stuck - Help needed?

She will be straining, and you might well be able to see the egg.

You can try holding her over a bowl of hot water so that the steam rises.

Christian swears by giving a dollop of olive oil orally.

Don't attempt to break the egg as it can do damage internally.

I should give her extra calcium if she is prone to laying soft shelled eggs. Limestone flour works wonders.

LEt us know how she gets on.

If you can warm up the vent area, either by gently steaming her over a pan of warm water as Egluntine has suggested, or you could give her a bath in a bowl of warm water or blow warm (not hot!) air from a hairdryer onto the vent area as these will all help to relax the muscles which have gone into spasm. Sitting her on a towel with a hot water bottle underneath can help too - check it from time to time to make sure that it's warm and not hot underneath her though. Good luck with her.

As Egluntine says, Oilve oil has worked for mine on a couple of occasions. Does take some time to work though.

The heat treatment is best. Either hot water bottle in a towel or steaming works well.

Try and make her comfortable, somewhere warm and quiet and give a gulg of oil, If she is straining, then you want to try and encourage the egg out by using a lubricated finger, very carefully. Too much straining could cause a prolapse. So keep an eye on her in case this happens. Easy to 'pop' back in :shock:

Hope she passes the egg soon.

PM me if you need any help.

Right,

Well I steamed her last night, and it didn;t seem to do anything for her.

She seems off colour still, and has spent the morning in the eglu just peering out. Her vent area is definitly moving a lot, but no sign of an egg at all, just a bit of movement, and by a bit I mean she doesn't really look like she's straining at all, it's just moving.

On picking her up and comparing her to my other girls she feels a lot more squidy underneth than the others - I'm now worried that she has had a egg stuck and now got peritonitius. We're off to the vets this morning - wish us luck.

Right,

Well we've been to the vets - and Jerry has come home (I really didn't expect her too!)

She's on a course of broad spectrum antibiotics for the next 7 to 10 days (see how long the stuff lasts were the vets words), and fingers corssed she'll get better. He seems to think the antibiotics will perk her up anyway, and if she stays better in 7-10 days then it was an infection, if not it's something more sinister - he seemed to think it was her liver due to the fluid retention there.

So fingers crossed for us, she's eating a bit today - but just sat in the run looking all puffed up and miserable (I don't want to seperate her from her friends as she's top chicken).

Hanging in there - just, she;s not a happy chicken, I think if she's still like this tomorrow, it'll be the vets again to have her put to sleep :cry:

Slyvie, one of my pekins is poorly too now, she's having trouble breathing - it doesn't rain - but it pours. :cry:

Well I have sad news to report - Sylvie died overnight - I knew something was majorly wrong when she took herslef off to bed in the blue eglu on her own (Penny did the same thing and had gone by the morning).

Jerry was in a state last night, she tried to get into the cube, but fell down, and then decided she was going to sleep outside in the run, so I picked her up and put her in the purple cube with her friends, she's still around this morning, didn't come out, but I've given her her antibiotics, and she did even have a little mouch about the run - so I'll check on her a little bit later to see how she's doing - if no better it doesn't seem fair on her, so we'll probably be off to the vets this evening, and Tom will have 2 holes to dig :cry:

Today is a bad day :cry::cry::cry: