MaggieMcHen

Puppy walking - Jake & Lexis. Updated 15.11.08

I have just looked at the photos of Lexis now....she is a real stunner isn't she?

I know she's PBS - I really hope she is taken onto the breeding programme. Has Peter or a Senior PWS assesed her recently? She's gorgeous looking!

No one has looked from breeding yet but I think she is going for her eye test in about a month. She is very well behaved and unflappable. BUT very excitable when people go to stroke her. It is getting better, I hold her head and stroke her at the same time.

She still has a small hernia but it is no bigger than it was. She played an 8 week old lab pup today and was excellent with it, gentle and not boistous, so I think she would make a good mum.

I look forward to getting the photos of Zodiac. :whistle:

My first two pups have just welped - Bessie (blk/ret/lab) (2nd litter) and Tara (ylw/lab) (1st litter) - hoping to pop in and see them this weekend on my way to and from Birmingham for a tutorial weekend at the University.

May even try and sqeeeze in Pella and Donna but wont have Lexis with me this time.

lol

Great excitement in our house - we got our Bronze Citizenship award today. :clap: Now we're working on our Silver. 7 months old is not a good age to do awards I decided. Lexis isn't at the biddable, I'll do anything for you mum stage. Neither is she old enough to behave like a well trained grownup. She's right in the 'terrible teenager', "I think I'll just not do quite :roll: what you asked of me" stage. We did it but boy did I earn it. :lol:

Well done.

Her sister Liberty comes to our dog club, she's nice (bit of a handful / hormonal) but is well behaved.Oh & I've looked for Zodiacs pics & haven't got any on PC (only got a print out of them) so I've asked the breeding Manager to send me some so I can forward to you.

You'll get them..... eventually :oops:

I might be looking after Pella for a few weeks soon whilst Florrie has babies.

Lexis is hormonal as well I think, she has just spent the past 6 days with a 10 month old entire B&T GS also prospective breeding stock. He is lovely but at the few brain cells short of a full set at the moment :lol: can't coordiate his body at all, typical teenager. Wants to get from A to B - OK - straight through whoever, whatever's in the way.

Look forward to the pics - Thanks Smudgely.

Jake has just gone for advanced training in Bedford so look forward to hereing from his instructor, Hellena.

Hope to see Pella again one day with Lexis - will she be at home at the end of October?

All the BB's have to come into Tollgate whilst they are in season. As we can't take the risk of a posible mis-mating.

When a BB has a litter, all of the dogs in the househo;d have to be confined to the BBH's property for the 6/7 weeks, therefore sometimes it's nicer if they go to a temp home as they can then be excercised as normal. She really isn't phased by it. 8)

Lexis is now 8.5 months old and very beautiful. She is good when training and loves her free runs with friends. Still in line for breeding programme, to be seen by breeding manager next week.

Jake update: - He might be making a career move - coming back home to us to help train pups. :clap::oops:

He is very tense when working and finds autonomous decisions difficult so :pray: we may have him back by Christmas 8)

Is it a maybe - just re-read your post.

Yes all fingers etc crossed though :whistle:

24th November

Oh well the best laid plans etc.

When I told the family that we could have Jake back it was met with a complete lack of excitement :( My son's comment 'well can we still have a German Shepherd if one fails?' OH much the same except he said we could have a GS as well if it failed. The problem then becomes: just how many large wet dogs can you fit in an average size house or the car when you want to go somewhere with them all plus maybe some baggage?

The more I thought about it, the more reasons I found for NOT having him back: not least the fact that if I continue puppy walking I could end up with three large dogs in the house/car for up to 8 months of the year, and reciprocating for others, that have boarded my pup when I went abroad, would be a nightmare - four big dogs.

So, reluctantly, I have said no. He may be rehomed near me in Tonbridge with a lady who has a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that is missing its companion that died a couple of months ago. They'd both like a lovely friendly black Labrador to keep them both company. :D ... and I may get to see him again one day. 8)

I've just heard from my supervisor that Lexis and all her litter mates have been withdrawn from prospective breeding stock because of a medical issue with the sire in California.

Work continues on preparing her for her life as a Guide dog. She really is a sweetheart and would have made a good BB. She is lovely with small pups, I had a friends new Guide dog pup for a couple of days, Billie a Yellow L/R cross, and she was so gentle with it.

I'll post a couple of pics of them together tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you weren't able to organise having Jake back. We've had the same thoughts about Quita - when do you say no!?! Just hoping that she will make it :lol:

Also Sorry to hear about Lexis being withdrawn from the breeding program but hope she carries on well with her guide dog training. I think that the GS in our area is being considered for the program at the moment.

Ron, my supervisor, has said he will put me down for another GS in February/March when I am ready for my next pup :clap:

Another puppy walker here has just got a standard poodle (prospective breeding stock to replace one that had a sad demise) - I get loads of comments along the line of " I didn't know they used GS for guide dogs" She will be fielding even more such comments :lol:

I'll add some pictures of him as time goes on 8)

Are you completely taken with them then Maggie (German Sheppards) My son is desperate for "one of the brown and black ones with sticky up ears" but we've told him we need to puppy walk a couple more labs first! We've heard that it's not that GS's are hard to train, it's just that once you've taught them something, it had better be right because once they've learnt it, it's a nightmare to try and re-teach them as it's in their hard drive!

Have you found this to be true?

Yes and yes - they are lovely dogs - so loyal and friendly - but they do learn very quickly and permanantly, particularly if it's something you don't want them to learn :lol:

I have had so many 'Oh I don't like GS, they're dangerous' comments since having Lexis and I have to try and make the point that they are 'shepherding dogs' first and formost.

The reason they are good as guard dogs is that they were bred to protect their masters sheep from wolves in Germany. This doesn't make them dangerous, just loyal.

I would rather meet an unaccompanied GS face on than a Border collie nipping round behind my back any day. :lol:

As usual it is the owners as well as unscrupulous breeders that get a particular breed of dog a bad name. Most breeds if they know who is alpha in the 'pack' and where they come in the hierarchy are happy with the status quo.

Any ideas on when you are haing a new pup, and what?

My brother is really really anti GS , but I think that we will definately have one at some stage. Quita is having her op around 20th Jan (as long as she doesn't have a phantom pregnancy) and we've talked to our supervisor about having a crossover like you did with Jake and Lexis so that the kids don't have time without a Guide Dog pup (I think it will make it easier for them) I've asked for another lab/ Golden Retriever cross, as we're both smitten! Hopefully a black one though so it's a bit different. This time last year I think we were still waiting to see if we would get an interview about being puppy walkers. I can't imagine not doing it now.

OH has started getting a bit fed up that everyone he meets seems to think he must be heartless because "we can bear to let her go" but he's started saying "If I didn't do it, there wouldn't be any Guide Dogs" We've also had a few people implying that we are being bad parents doing this to our children. I think it's a fabulous experience for them, and while they are upset about the prospect of Quita going, they have learnt so much and are excited about the next one and what stupid name it will have. "Fishcloth" is my son's favourite idea at the moment!

'Fishcloth'....Hmmm.... :roll: boy humour

Ya boo hiss to those people who are giving OH a hard time; you are providing your children with an excellent education by doing this and they are old enough to understand that they will still see Quita, but that she will be looking after someone and doing a fantastic job BECAUSE you did such a good job yourselves!

I am sure that you will all shed a tear when she goes, but then you have the new puppy to look forward too, and a new adventure with that one. No different from fostering children really; you nurture them and then launch them off into the world.

No different from fostering children really; you nurture them and then launch them off into the world.

and no one seems to think foster parents are cruel and heartless.

My children, admitttedly older, and my grandchildren love all the pups and look forward to each new arrival with great excitement.

Are we cruel to our children if we have small pets that die after a year or two? Loss is just as much a part of life as any other experience - and the sooner children learn to cope with it the better able they will be to face loss in all it guises later on in life.

I lost a daughter 20 odd years ago, and my younger daughter (4 at the time) lost a sister, this was a terrible experience for us all but loss is a part of life we can none of us avoid. Learning to 'live' with it in a constructive way when you know the object of your affection is leaving to do a good job for which you have trained it can only be an excellent, positive introduction for the children.

Oooo er how serious - sorry folks.

Well, Lex is a year 22 Feb but she hasn't had a season yet so I'm not sure yet when she will go for training. I usually try and have a couple of weeks or so cross over. When she has a season I'll let you know, I'd love to possibly have the contact I had this time, with my next new pup 8)

Thanks

Ok people - lots going on.

Lexis has had her season - is due to be spayed on 24th May and leaves me on the 9th June. A while yet, she has calmed down so much since her season but has also decided to become real GSD over her food, she doesn't approve of the same food EVERY meal time. She is refusing to eat two meals a day so is on 1 in the evening only, she has worked up a little more of an appetite by then :lol:

My new pup has been born and is called Gemma - she will be ready to come and join us on the 29th April. She is a Black and Tan GSD :clap::clap: I can't wait.