Aunty e

Kitten with Diarrhoea

Thought I'd better start a new thread. Nero obligingly provided a sample, which is currently being analysed, but I think more and more that we've got giardia in the cat population in our house. We've had on and off bouts of diarrhoea for about six months now, and we are at a higher risk with so many cats in the same house.

As part of an elimination threatment, I need to find a disinfectant with quaternary ammonium compounds in it. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for?

Okay this is the closest that seems to be available in the UK these days

http://www.tamsuk.com/

I could find old fashioned quat lysol in the USA if you google Lysol without a country behind it you will find a US supplier but this product claims to do the same thing wothout the nasty side effects of Lysol one of which is a horrendous smell by the way :roll:

The problem is that the fumes are carcinogenic so trying to find it in the UK is impossible :evil:

I will have a hunt for an alternative that is effective :?

I used to use these harsh chemicals years ago and I wouldn't want them in the house personally the smell of traditional lysol is not good :?

Do you remember how hospitals used to smel about 15 years ago :? That was Lysol :lol:

Any steam cleaner will do the trick but an industrial one will make the job quicker the small hand held ones are good for doing projects around the house but we are presumably talking alot of carpets and soft furnishings here :?

I don't envy you this job at all :roll:

Oh my goodness!

That steamer is amazing! I did every carpet in the house, and most of the upholstery and the bathroom and the downstairs loo and the front door and the patio door. I only stopped because it was elevn pm. I'm going to do the oven tonight! It didn't take nearly as long to steam up as I thought and it lasted for ages, I was steaming for over an hour with the second tank full and I did everything listed above with two tanks.

Still no results back yet. :( But the kitten didn't poop on me this morning :)

Glad the decontamination process hasn't been too taxing :wink:

If it is giardia and at such a high level you should get an answer quite quickly they can't confuse it with anything else due to the way it moves about it kind of tumbles in a very pretty way :shock:

Well apparently the first part of the analysis came back clear, but we're still waiting for the second set of results. Nero is actually quite a bit better, but poor fragile little Dilly is really under the weather now and had lost 10% of her body weight in a week (she only weighs 2kg), so I took her in to get some antibiotics. She's perked up a bit now, but obviously I just want to get on top of this once and for all. My vet is quite resistant to the idea of treating all of the cats simultaneously, and I'm considering going to another vet to get a second opinion. Can't happen while we have a pregnant Cleo though, as Flagyl is contraindicated for pregnancy.

House smells. :(

No really it swims and tumbles its difficult to describe it is a very pretty protozoa :shock:

God I have spent too many years talking to parasitologists me thinks :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

No harm is getting a second opinion Aunty e :D Hope you get to the bottom of it all (no pun intended :roll: )