I have been reading some of the comments on roosting bars. Two years ago I dismantled mine and now fit them in singlularly. This was done after a red mite attack. I found after treating the only place the mite was surviving was where the bars where stapled together.

This makes cleaning the bars much easier as no nooks and crannys and much easier to dry after washing.

We have both Mark 1 Eglu and a Cube. I could recommend it, especially as there are a variety of advantages ranging from accomodating more hens to less bending when cleaning out. I don't know that you could separate the bars to keep them free of red spider mite, but I have cleaned them using the inside of the Cube to support them before cleaning the Cube, or prop them against a post in the garden or even use the shower head in the bath (on an old bath mat) to clean them. Whatever method I use, I do use an old washing-up brush.

As for using the dish-washer, our bars are too big to fit in and I would have thought that the water would cause them to warp sooner or later.

The Mark one bars can certainly be taken apart. I have not seen the cubes bars so can't comment. Under the joints of the bars was the last hiding space for red mite. Soon as i knocked apart that was the end of the mite and not been seen since. ( nearly 3 years free)

It was a joke. :lol:

I've heard of people putting pegs in the washing-machine. It's possible that there might be someone daft enough to try putting bars in a machine, not realizing you were not being serious.

Sorry, if I don't appear to be my usual self, with achy shoulders and a pest which is more commonly known as a nose! I appear to have been trying to fight of a common cold since Friday. So much for the Citricidal! Oh well, hope the snow will help clear some of the bugs that are going around both inside and out.

er - someone has posted on here about putting roosting bars (Eglu ones) in a dishwasher. I think it may have been Claret!

I too would have thought they would warp, I don't think you would be able to do it very frequently, but I'm sure someone has done it.

I don't even like to put Glugs and Grubs through the dishwasher, and I clean the roosting bars outdoors with a scrubbing-brush, I won't even bring them into the kitchen! :roll: