Cazjohn

Sour Crop Treatment

Hi There

I wonder if anyone can help - otherwise it's an hours journey to the nearest vet that has any knowledge of chickens!

Approx 3 weeks ago two of my girls were doing yellowy poo, one of them wasn't eating.

We took them to a vet who did fecal samples, couldn't find anything wrong but prescribed amoxicillin for all seven girls.

We completed the course and things seemed to be improving until this weekend when I noticed that Pepperoni was not eating again and had a very squishy crop, could not feel anything solid.

When we picked her up clear fluid poured out of her so we isolated her and started her on yogurt for two days, then amoxillcillin and yogurt for 2 days, with a little mash in it, she will drink water if you hold it up to her beak.

The fluid coming out now is yellowy and stringy.

I have spoken to the vets who have now decided that they are not confident in treating her further as they feel they don't have the knowledge, they won't prescribe Nystatin.

The next nearest Vet that treats chickens is an hour away and although I am happy to take them I'm not sure that I should stress them further.

I wondered if there is anything similar to Nystatin that I can buy or if anyone knows a Vet that will treat chickens nearer to Woking in Surrey.

I should add that they are ex-bats that we have had for a year living happily in a cube.

sorry to hear you have a problem veronica had a bad case of sour crop there is a thread about it somewhere we were lucky and have a good vet who prescribed nystatin and she did get better for a time,there will be some along with more helpful suggestions soon i am sure hope she is better soon

Alan Jones is about 20 miles from you and is supposed to be a very good poultry vet indeed.

Alan K Jones

The Cottage

Turners Hill Road

Worth

Crawley

W. Sussex

RH10 4LY

01293 884629

www.birdvet.co.uk

Good luck with her. Izzy had sour crop twice. We gave her live white maggots to eat and I swear that helped her as she picked up within days of starting on them. I gave her natural probiotic yogurt via syringe 3 times a day too.

Thanks for advice, we decided not to take her back to the vets honestly thought the journey would finish her off!

Continued to give her Amoxycillin with yoghurt, garlic and mash for two days - Hand fed! And empty her out - Yuck.

Fingers crossed she seems back to normal running around eating, drinking and Dust bathing!

This Vet situation is a Nightmare - with the amount of people that now have a few chickens in their back garden especially since the Chicken Out campaign.

Hi Christian,

We have been using Noroclav and its seems to have worked :D

The difficulty is the original vet will not prescribe further as they don't feel confident with chickens!

The next nearest vet I can find that will see a chicken is an hour away!

My other animals are registered with a vet just down the road - I have already spoken to them and they won't see chickens but I'm going to try again to see if they will prescribe if we have any further problems.

My hen Babs had Egg peritonitis so often that all I had to do was call and pick up the tablets. Most vets will prescribe when they have seen the hen, at least in my experience anyway.

My vet wants to come over and meet the chickens with his wife. :lol::lol:

Hope the Noroclav works for her. Fingers crossed.