HENthusiastic

Rescue worries

EEAK! Got an email from Adele yesterday, my rescue hens are due to arrive NEXT SATURDAY!!! I was really really excited about getting them originally. And had planned to get the three rescue girls before three other girls. But the way things turned out with dates, I got my 3 non-rescue girls 6 weeks ago. I'm being a worry wart now. My three girls just seem so settled and happy, theres been no fighting. What if theres huge fights for all six of them to settle down together? What if Buttercup (the bottom of the pecking order) gets pushed further down the pecking order and is unhappy? What if I cant love the new girls as much as I love my present gang :oops: I feel embarassed about all these silly worries, they are stopping me getting excited about my new girls. Everything just seems so lovely now, that Im afraid to rock the boat. Seeking reassurance please.

Have you got somewhere seperate for the ex batts at first?

I don't know much about it but I believe they can be quite weak when they first come out of the cages. They will need seperate quarters until they have regained their strength and then you can integrate them slowly - let them meet through the run wire, then let them free range together.

Don't worry about not loving them as much - you will! I felt the same way when I got new ones, it takes a little while for their personalities to develop but they will be just as lovely as your existing girls :D

You might be pleasently surprised. Our ex batts we collected last week were very well feathered and quite strong. We were told they wouldn't need a perch for a while beacuse they wouldn't be strong enought to jump. They have two swing bins in their home for food and they have been jumping up on those to perch so my husband has put a lower perch in for them. If they have enough room to get away I would imagine there won't be many problems with them all. I think the problems seem to arise if there is not enough room for them all. Enjoy them! Clare x

You will love them...they are such delightful characters and so full of enthusiasm for life.

It has been a real joy seeing them explore, try new foods and improve in condition.

I love all my hens but my ex-batts have a very special place in my affections.

Snowy is right about the separate accommodation though if you can manage it. A period of quarantine is a good idea for all concerned.

If they are weak they may be picked on by your established girls.

If they are poorly (unlikely but it is a chance you take) they may pass it on to the others)

Go for it and good luck. :lol:

Hi HENthusiastic,

Don't worry. As stated there will no doubt be a bit of argie barggie for a week or so, and it is a bit upsetting to see, but they will sort themselves out. If you have somewhere seperate to start them off even better but if not just keep an eye on things.

I can guarantee that you will love them every bit as much. To see them feeling sun for the first time and finding their feet is such a joy. To see them develop into beautiful, fully feathered ladies is wonderful.

I will be helping out on the rescue on Saturday so if you get directed to the stable to pick up your girls do say hello to me.

It's sooo wonderful to see ex bats experiencing real living for the first time in their lives. The first time they dust bathe and sun bathe, room to flap their wings and run around, as well as scratching the ground is lovely. You will love them for this reason. My ex bats have very strong personalities. I think it is because they have suffered so much. Also, they love human company and want to be 'in' on everything you do. You will need to introduce them gradually to the others. But I'm sure it will be OK. Good luck.

HENthusiastic, I'm sure you will be fine.

I also want to say thank you for posting this as my email had blocked my email from Adele!! and I wouldn't have known about the change in date so would have missed out on getting mine :cry: Luckily I've been in touch and I am down for my 6 on Saturday.

I'm now in panic mode as my coop isn't quite finished, the run isn't made and the only thing I've got for the chickens so far are some dried mealworms and a tub trug for collecting poo!!

One of my Ex-batts, Ola, walks to heel when I let them out. She follows me everywhere when I am pottering in the garden. :lol: Such a character.

I also have one that follows me and talks to me when I call her too. I haven't thought of a name for her yet but she is the raggyist one of the lot but also the first to do everything! She is first into food and into my poo bucket when I collect! She also sunbathed this morning and the others stood looking at her in disgust! They'll get the idea soon. You will instantly love them and wonder how you ever got on without them! Clare x

You have got a job on...choosing 10 names! :lol:

I haven't got a clue where to start! I tried themes but I am really stuck! I think they will end up chicken 1,2,all the way up to 10 at this rate!! They are beginning to show characters so I guess that will make it easier! I hope. :shock: Clare x

Hi guys, thank you all so much for your replys, you all sound so certain that I will love them just as much as my current girls (or even more!!) Its very reassuring to hear. I know really that I'm just being a worry wart. I was just the same just before my 2nd niece was born.... worrying about whether I would love her as much....... which of course I do! :D

Snowy, thanks for the advice, Ive got a rabbit hutch with attached run which I've been adapting for the rescue girls to live in for a while. So they will have their own private quarters complete with little run.

Abwsco did you get your coop finished yet? good job you managed to get in touch with Adele, Its great for me that I'm getting my girls earlier than expected, the May date was a bit near me going away for a weekend, this way I'll have more time to settle them in before I have to go.

Muppet81 I will certainly look out for you if I'm directed towards the stable. Although I will feel a fool asking a random stranger if they are "muppet81"!! :lol: Any clues??? ps JUlie and Posh Julie.... are they The Julies from Bad girls??

Abwsco did you get your coop finished yet? good job you managed to get in touch with Adele, Its great for me that I'm getting my girls earlier than expected, the May date was a bit near me going away for a weekend, this way I'll have more time to settle them in before I have to go.

Nearly, there are just the nestbox side and edges to do. The man who's doing it and my run should be here tomorrow. He says it all will be done in time bar problems!

I think my panic is now subsiding-lol