Strepsy

Strange episode

Bobbins really worried me earlier. They were out free-ranging but she was actually in the run eating some pellets and she made a really weird squawky noise so I looked over to see what was up and she just seemed to be not moving. When I went over and she was stood still with her mouth open a bit, breathing in and out. Also her pupils were dilating erratically. I think Hatti and Pepsi were worried as they'd come over and were making little noises at her. I stroked her a little bit and she then started to move off but made more weird squawky noises and did a big shake, maybe just her head or maybe all of her, not sure as the squawky noises were a bit shocking.

Anybody known their hen to do something similar? She seemed back to herself after a couple of minutes.

Did something frighten her? My hens make a squeaky noise and stand absolutely stock still if a bird of prey flies over or if garden birds make alarm calls. They don't move until they are happy that the coast is clear. It's a whistling squeaking sound and they stand on tiptoes with their heads up like statues.

I'm fairly sure it was different, she seemed out of it rather than alert and listening. I've seen them freeze many a time, especially at first whenever there was a plane or bird but it could have been something really frightening I guess, though the others didn't notice.

I don't half worry about them. Can't remember if I was this bad when I got my Mally cat. :oops: