Tara.F

fertilised eggs

we have a (very) broody hen....again :roll:

can someone tell me please, if we get hold of fertilised eggs, can she hatch them in the eglu?

We have a home for any cockerals (which has been the reason for not doing this before) and now that's sorted we'd really love to give Lacey the opportunity :D

So, will a few simple modifications to the eglu do?

ie ramp, cover bars, marbles in the water feeders and finer mesh on the bottom 6inches of the run :?

apologies if this has been asked ten squillion times before... I did a search but only really incubater advice popped up :oops:

Yes, I had read that Sarah but I think Lesley's advice is more for people hatching in incubaters :?

All she says about hatching under a broody is that it's better cos the hen will do all the work :D

So, having decided to follow that advice and hatch eggs with Lacey, and having first found homes for unwanted cockerals, I now need to know if she can do so in the eglu or not :?

I was suggesting that the bit to read is the ethics of hatching in the first place.

It really needs to be thought about hard, & is a huge commitment.

One or two of us have hatched eggs recently and may have prompted others to think about it as well. Whilst this forum is mainly about keeping hens as layers we thought it might be a good idea to have some basic information on here about hatching so that anyone is contemplating hatching eggs for themselves, they will know where to start looking for further information.

Hatching eggs, whether using an incubator or a broody is a fantastic experience, but not one to be undertaken lightly.

Just like breeding any other animal, please think long and hard about the consequences., and consider how you will house all the resulting chicks, and what you will do with the inevitable cockerels. It’s hard to find homes for excess male birds, especially if they are mixed breeds. Please also consider that you may need to despatch them yourself for the table if homes can’t be found. Another point worth bearing in mind is whether you’d feel able to deal with any chicks that might hatch malformed, or become ill, and need euthanasing. It can cost around £15 at the Vets to have a chick put to sleep.

Hi Tara,

Claret used a rablu as a broody coop so she's the person to speak to about it. I've got 2 broodies at the moment and I'm going to put some pekin eggs under them. I've disinfected the eglu today with poultryshield, taken out the roosting bars and put a tubtrug-load of aubiose mixed with diatom straight in the tray for them to nest in.

I don't think hatching your own eggs is any less ethical than purchasing hens. :?

There are inevitably unwanted cockerels that have to be dealt with in both scenarios, but when you hatch them yourself they are your problem rather than someone else's. In my case, I've got 2 people prepared to deal with boys for me, although if any of them are good type and colour they may add them to their own breeding stock. Otherwise, they'll have to be despatched by the aforementioned people and it'll be pekin pie for dinner if I can face preparing them.

Good luck.

I don't think hatching your own eggs is any less ethical than purchasing hens. :?

There are inevitably unwanted cockerels that have to be dealt with in both scenarios, but when you hatch them yourself they are your problem rather than someone else's. In my case, I've got 2 people prepared to deal with boys for me, although if any of them are good type and colour they may add them to their own breeding stock. Otherwise, they'll have to be despatched by the aforementioned people and it'll be pekin pie for dinner if I can face preparing them.

Good luck.

Sadly many people rush head long into hatching,tempted by the fluffy chicks & not thinking the whole thing through.

Its great that you have people to deal with the inevitable cockerels Superjules, but others may not have made plans as well as you obviously have :D

cool thanks :lol:

As I said, we have someone to take any cockerals. They are breeders and want to start a flock of the breed we are hatching. They will take up to two cock birds but have someone in the wings (pardon the pun :oops: ) should there be any more :D

Since we only want one or two more hens, any 'spare' girls will go to them too.

And they are more than happy to wait untill they start crowing so we will get maximum joy and no healthy birds will need to be killed :lol: