I have just ordered a second purple Cube. I won't get it for four weeks, which is a bit disappointing: I thought it would be quicker if I didn't want chickens with it. But Omlet are going to put it together for me, which is a big plus.

When I bought my four new large-breed babies, I put them in the Eglu to settle, but with the intention of eventually putting my three small hybrids in the Eglu with run, convertor and extension, and my five big girls in the Cube with run and one extension.

There is one big problem: my three hybrids can't bear the Eglu any more. They were back in it for 24 hours. One of them had her egg in the run (I think this was a protest: she never normally does this) and one got frantic with distress. When I got home from work, I let her out and she begged to go in the Cube. I let her in, and she went straight upstairs and had an egg.

I have been hankering after a second Cube for a long time, so now the deed is done. Four hens in each will keep me happy, at least until next year. I haven't decided whether to keep the Eglu, but will probably sell the convertor and extension.

It's nice of you both to congratulate me, but I think congratulations would have been in order if I had resisted the temptation.

As it is, I am spending far too much money, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I kept my Eglu and run as well and found myself putting more hens in there too before the end of the summer.

It is all a terrible weakness: nothing to be proud of.

It is all a terrible weakness: nothing to be proud of.

Ah, but you will be proud of it when it comes. And it will be wonderful in your garden.

And you won't get rid of the Eglu, just in case you need it as a sick bay, or to introduce "replacement" chooks at some unspecified point in the future.

I am feeling much more cheerful about my rash decision to get a second Cube. Of course two Cubes isn't too many. Where otherwise would I put the hens I will be tempted to buy next year?

And this is the first chicken house and run I will have bought this year -- I am sure you will all agree that is true restraint.

The kind of hens I like need the extra head room in the Cube. Brahmas next.

When I rang Omlet, I had decided that if they would put the Cube together for me, I would have it; otherwise not. So it was fate.

8) Definitely a great decision and brilliant reasoning there, Gallina.

My biggest regret about Fort Knox is that we didn't make it bigger I can't fit another Cube in, and even this one was a struggle to position. But then, we only had 4 hens at the time. :lol:

I'm delighted and excited for you, and it will make you and the hens so happy. We need more happiness in the world, so you're being altruistic. :)

Possibility of more hens? You don't need another reason, so...Congratulations!

And this is the first chicken house and run I will have bought this year -- I am sure you will all agree that is true restraint.

The kind of hens I like need the extra head room in the Cube. Brahmas next.

I love your reasoning Gallina 8) . I'm going to save that argument up for next time I go hen house shopping :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brahmas are lovely, I've had a real hankering to get some next time.

I think it's pretty much impossible to have too many hens so if you've got the space for a second cube then you simply can't go wrong. In fact, why stop at 2 :shock::wink: