daisymay

mark 1 vs mark 2 AND cats with chickens

Hi

I've got the opportunity of getting a mark 1 edlu (from jan 2005) rather than trying to get a mark 2 from ebay etc for significantly more money. I'm new to the whole chickens thing and just wondered what you thought about the mark 1 vs the mark 2 version? Is there much difference between them or are the differences not significant really. I've read the section in frequently asked questions but was hoping to hear from a seasoned eglu owner! I'm planning to get 3 chickens and to allow them to free range for part of most days (when I'm about).

Also i have a cat. Does anyone have/had problems when introducing chickens to cats

Thanks very much

Mk 1 is only recommended for 2 chickens, the roosting bars come in more bits (some individual bars), the door is smaller and I think less ventiallation holes.

On ebay they do not seem to go for much less than mk2s, so if you can get a mk1 cheap then I would go for it with a couple of hens - if you then decided you like keeping chickens (who wouldn't?) you could always sell it on e-bay and up grade to a mk 2 or a cube in the future.

Tracy

Can't answer the question about the Mk1 v Mk2, but I don't think you will have a problem with the cat. Mine is also scared of them, with good reason! The cat will either ignore them or show an unhealthy interest (they are birds, after all!) However in my experience, one attempt was met with so much flapping and squawking, that he has never tried again. They are quite big birds when they stretch their wings out!

If you can get a Mark 1 cheap, get it. You will be able to resell it one day at the same price.

But if the difference in price is less than £50, get a Mark 2, because you won't want to stop at two chickens -- to my knowledge, no one on this forum has managed this feat for more than a year. The Mark 2 is bigger and holds four chickens.

As Gallina says - not many have been able to stop at two chickens..... :lol:

....and as Christian says, it is the run size which dictates how many hens to keep in either size Eglu. If you have room for a permanent larger run then you could keep 4 medium size hens in a Mark1 - just don't go for the very large breeds.

We had two Mark 1s and 10 hens in a large run - they frequently all went into just one Eglu to sleep :roll:

I am not so convinced it is only the run size that is an issue, as the mk1 & mk2 have the same run size, but one is sold as suitable for 2 and the other as 3-4 hens. I think it was the increased ventilation holes and door size in the mk2 that led to Omlet stating it could hold more chickens.

I would go for it and start with two and see how it works out.

Tracy

TAJ is right: the run size is identical, it's the night accommodation that is different. The Mark 1 Eglu is suitable for a maximum of two hybrid-sized hens, and the Mark 2 for four.

If they are very friendly hens, however, they tend to bunch together at night and you could probably in practice squeeze an extra one in each Eglu, as long as you stick to the smaller breeds.

And of course you could always get bantams, and I am sure someone who has these will be able to tell you how many fit into each type of Eglu.

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for the advice. Quite overwhelmed by all the support! Have been chuckling at your comments and love the cat picture ! The price difference is £75 so think i'll go with the mark 1 and see how it goes.

Will let you know the chickens names as soon as i meet them!

Snowman,

I have 2 eglus both marks 2s and all 5 chickens sleep in one :roll:

When I am away, i have 2 hens in one eglu with standard run and 3 hens in the other with extended run. You can easily fit more than a couple of hens in an eglu, mine do it by choice. It is the run space that they would have that I have issues with.

Of course, you could always get a convertor and extensions to the run :wink::wink:

Thats what I meant when I said the run dictates how many hens.

All the best with whatever you decide :D:D You won't regret it.