Liam

Crop feels weird and looks like she wants to be sick

Thank you all for your support and ideas. I will have to convince my husband to take Cinnamon-Amber to the vets as she does seem to be losing weight. But in every other way is acting normally

I will try the bicarb and water in the morning as she if that helps

We have had so much expense with the cats at the vets and my crown costing £500 that he is reluctant to have the expense but I will have to convince him it is the best course of action

:(GNRPP(green eglu)!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!:cry:GNR

Thank you all very much for the advice and support.

Living in a suburban area so close to london very few vets are able to provide care for chickens, but I found (via a local childrens farm) a lovely surgery where the vet also keeps hens, who was able to help. Unfortunatly the prognosis is not good, but we are trying a course of anitbiotic injections. My poor little hen is very unwell, unless there is some improvemnt by Thursday I don't think whe will make it through. She won't eat anything, except a few worms, so I'm doing lots of digging in the garden to see what I can find for her.

Well, this morning we tried some bicarb and water and for the first time we managed to get her to vomit but the crop now looks bigger and she is looking very scruffy although she is still eating and laying eggs etc. I had a good sniff of her breath and it doe not smell, so does that mean it is impacted? My husband thinks that maybe we have a chicken that naturally has a large crop. Surely that can not be correct???

Unfortunately, my husband is adament that we will not be taking her to the vets. I feel upset by this as she has become part of the family but we had agreed when we got them that we would not go down the vet route. We did ask our local vet we use for our cats and they said that no one deals with chickens. Maybe thats the down side of living so near to London

I am sure we will lose her but my husband feels I am being dramatic. I just hope that she will pull through

:(GNRGNRPP!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!(green eglu)

I had a good sniff of her breath and it doe not smell, so does that mean it is impacted?
An impacted crop is ususally hard, whereas a sour crop is ususally soft and squidgy as you describe. Maybe she has a partial emptying and that is why she is still laying etc, as she must be digesting some nutrients. If it was a sour crop, it would smell. Sometimes an impaction can develop into a sour crop as the contents fester and a fungal infection sets in.

Perhaps you could give her probiotic yoghurt to help prevent this.

My husband thinks that maybe we have a chicken that naturally has a large crop. Surely that can not be correct???

Yes it can! One of my girls has a massive bosom, which flap s when she runs, but it empties and she is OK....... just in danger of tripping.

Sometimes they can develop what is called a pendulous crop due to loss of muscle tone after over stretching and delayed emptying after one of these spells.

Good luck with her.

Unfortunately, my husband is adament that we will not be taking her to the vets. I feel upset by this as she has become part of the family but we had agreed when we got them that we would not go down the vet route. We did ask our local vet we use for our cats and they said that no one deals with chickens. Maybe thats the down side of living so near to London

I am sure we will lose her but my husband feels I am being dramatic. I just hope that she will pull through :(

I don't think it would be very kind to let her choke to death. You may have to take her to the vet if things get really bad.

It's good that she's still laying. What do you think would happen if you stopped making her sick and just left her to it? Is she losing weight/very thin? I'm really sorry you've got this worry over what to do.

I don't think it would be very kind to let her choke to death. You may have to take her to the vet if things get really bad.

I think that if she seems to be suffering: quiet, hunched, not eating, losing weight, then she either needs vet treatment or putting to sleep.

Hello.

Another update… I took Madge back to the vet, and we took the decision to have her put down. She was really not well – the vet thought her crop had expanded a lot, (I’m not so sure but then I have been handling her every day.) She was looking very sickly in the morning, but just before I took her to the vet I gave her a last half hour free ranging – she really made the most of it and it made me feel extra guilty because she was scratching around and enjoying herself, especially as the other two were in the run and she had the garden to herself! But she was suffering a lot and I am happy that it was the kindest thing to do.

I am upset that it ended this way for her, and disappointed that this happens after only having chickens for 7 weeks – but I guess that’s life. I did have a moment yesterday when I thought of finding new homes for the other two and putting the eglu on e-bay – but have come to my senses again and will not be doing this, having chickens is too much fun to give up already!

I`m not sure if I will replace Madge or just keep the two, we’ll see what I think in a few weeks. But thank you everyone for all your help and support, I would have been totally lost without your words of advice and encouragement. And all the best to Sarah-Louise and Kairen too, hope it ends up better for your two girls! Let us know how you get on.

Liam

Liam, I am sorry to hear about Madge. I know that you will have rehe"Ooops, word censored!"d the arguments in your head many, many times and always arrive at the decision you had to take. I also know that that doesn't make it easier or less traumatic. I am sad for you, especially so soon in your chicken life-time! RIP Madge :(

That was a good and difficult decision to make Liam .

It is unfair to allow any animal to suffer so you did the right thing.

PS. thank you for editing my previous post Mod. It may have come across too strongly in favour of euthanasia - but it was best for the poorly hen :cry:

I am sorry Liam.

I lost one to sour crop a while ago - had to have her put to sleep as you did, & made the decision to have another sick hen put to sleep this week.

Its never easy,but please rest assured that you have made a brave,informed & sensible decision.

Best wishes.