Egg Lou

Leghorn advice for newbie pretty please!

Hi All

I am a brand new omlet fan, been wanting Chickens for many years and after spending many hours reading all your posts/advice have just ordered up a green cube. So excited!!

:D

I have learned a huge amount from reading your forum ( sorry as sounds bit sneaky reading on the quiet!) however would still welcome any important tips you may have for a new chook keeper. I do also have a question on breeds..

My OH has given in to my chicken obsession on the condition that at least one of the four girls I get is Leghorn? (wants to call "Foghorn Leghorn") Can anyone advise if this is a good breed for a first timer as had heard they can be noisy and bit flighty? thought a White Star?

I plan to also have 3 hybrids a Gold Star ( also known as goldline?) Amber Star but not sure on 3rd bird.

Any comments would be gratefully received as I lam really look forward to enjoying my girls.. just need to choose breed, find great breeder and start having fun!

Many thanks

A very eggcited Lou!

Welcome to the forum! :)

I personally think Leghorns are do-able for 1st timers, they are quite flighty but a clipped wing and supervision when free ranging shouldn't lead to any issues. But they are usually noisy so depending on your neighbours etc that might be more of a problem??

How about an Araucana/Skyline/Cream legbar for the 3rd bird? Blue/green egg layer not tempt you?! :wink:

Have fun choosing though, it's the hardest bit about chicken keeping!

Hi, Thank you so much for the advice..sounds like I need to get OH to change his mind as don't want upset neighbours!

I'll do some research on the legbar as not one I have looked into.. does anyone know of good breeders in the Hampshire/Berkshire area? I am planning on breeder near guildford but don't think they have legbars.. do have light sussex though.

Thanks again.. think I'll be needing lots of help in choosing and the early weeks!

L x

Hi Lou, I see you're in Basingstoke too! I got mine from here which is just the other side of Andover.

http://www.eden-livestock.co.uk/garden_hens.htm

They are agents rather than breeding the hens on site but Dee was lovely and helpful (she breeds her own polands and silkies I think) and also said to phone for advice whenever I needed. She also likes you to keep her updated on how they are settling in.

My chickens were very friendly and tame and eating out of our hands by the second day.

If you're after pure breeds there seem to be more breeders around this area and particularly Tadley.

Thanks to both, thats great advice ref Eden I'll have good look on web site.. not worried about pure breeds really just want some nice friendly pets and eggs on the side which is why I though hybrids may be the way to go.. OH is the leghorn fan so may be able to pacify with the Legbar! Love the Silkies but think may be too much for my inexperienced hands!

Really nice to hear from you and lovely to find out someone else in Basingstoke is even more chicken mad than me!

Don't reject the idea of silkies! I've got 2 and I was a 1st time keeper, they are lovely birds, and they lay every other day (sometimes 2 days in a row). But 1 of mine has gone broody now, I'm just going to let her sit it out I think, but they are very easy to look after due to their inability to get off the ground!! And they look ridiculous at times! :D

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone! !

:P

funny enough I have been called Egg Lou by my OH since my chicken facination started so it just seemed to fit given the coop I am buying!

some great advice here, nice to know there are experts around as know my way around horses very well but a real chicken virgin and have a feeling the experience may be somewhat different!

Just heard from Omlet today as delivery delay on cube, due on 2 June.. cant wait!

Gives me as bit of time to source my girls.. I presume its better to get all four from the same place to reduce chance of illness or bullying?

The Cream legbar looks fab! OH has agreed to one yeha! just need to find somewhere now :?

Lou

Edited by Guest

Thanks Jo

I'm going through the really confused stage! keep seeing birds I like on here.. silkies are lovely, legbar or leghorn hybrid would be perfect.. yours looks just right so if I can find a seller or these plus amber stars or RIR hybrids I think I'll keep everyone happy!

Did consider ex batts but think I'll wait till had some experience and then add to flock as it seems to be addictive from reading all posts!

Lou

Have you looked through the list of Omlet breeders? Think there is a link to it somewhere on this site...!

Reference to comment further above, I've never heard of silkies needing extra supplements to keep them healthy??! Mine are perfectly fine without them :?

A white star and crested cream legbar are two bird I'd like one day - just because I'd love a layer of large white eggs regularly and a blue egg layer is so cool! :roll:

Let us know what you decide to go with eventually.

HI

Yes Omlet have also sent me some in the area but you have to ring to find out what they supply..

Don't worry still like the Silkies but may have to add to my "wish list" for later on.. not sure what any of them look like in the flesh yet so will try and vist some breeders over next few weeks..think I have a lot to learn!

WIsh I could choose this week as the waiting is going to be hard!

Thanks again for all your help :D

Reference to comment further above, I've never heard of silkies needing extra supplements to keep them healthy??! Mine are perfectly fine without them

This was something I overheard at my local poultry centre - something about them needing a manganese supplement because of the extra pigment in their skin. Especially if they are a dark coloured Silkie. He was also saying they only need Growers', not Layers food because of their size.

I wasn't really listening as I don't have Silkies but he is a _very_ knowledgeable chap and I would definitely look into it if I were you

Jo

I wasn't really listening as I don't have Silkies but he is a _very_ knowledgeable chap and I would definitely look into it if I were you

Jo

Sorry to hijack the topic! :D But I don't think the guy was right, I got mine from Wernlas and they didn't mention anything like that (and I'd imagine they would also know if it was needed). And I've just done a quick google search with nothing coming up on it. Not having a go by the way :) Just clearing it up in case it puts people off a lovely breed of chickens :wink:

Ed

No probs as all input welcome! Not put off but will look at these at later stage once I have a bigger run and can extend the flock..

Thanks also for the clipping tip.. wasn't sure if this was always needed but guess its better to be safe than sorry! to be honest going to leave the pure leghorn for the moment as noise could cause me a problem.. will try a cross instead as they seem best bet for a first timer!

Just not looking forward to my long wait!! :(

Hi Linda

Really pleased to your comments regarding your white star so thank you for adding to the thread..is she ok to handle and be near in the garden? does she make any more noise than your other birds or isit too hard to tell!

Sorry for all the questions but this was OH first choice but I've been bit concerned so lovely to get some first hand feedback.. do you have any photos?

Lou

She used to be my friendliest chicken and would always let the boys pick her up and carry her about. She is a bit more flighty and skittish than the others but really good fun.

At the moment she has got out of the way of being handled as , until recently, we had a cockerel which really made all the girls a bit more aloof.

She is one of my quietest girls - she's in and out of the nesting box faster than a rat up the proverbial drainpipe with barely a day off in the last 2 years!

I hope this helps!

Linda