Chicken/Cat houses are a bit mad. I have a room for kittening, and my two queens and their litters are in there right now, generally with Nero and Dilly 'helping' out, so actually my house is pretty calm at the mo. In six weeks, we'll have seven kittens and five full grown cats all dashing around the place, and I can tell you, that is crazy. You can't move for cats, everywhere you sit, there's a cat. You get into bed and there are cats under your duvet. You go into the kitchen and a million cats appear at your feet yowling for food. I don't know why I did it really. ;)

Chicken/Cat houses are a bit mad. I have a room for kittening, and my two queens and their litters are in there right now, generally with Nero and Dilly 'helping' out, so actually my house is pretty calm at the mo. In six weeks, we'll have seven kittens and five full grown cats all dashing around the place, and I can tell you, that is crazy. You can't move for cats, everywhere you sit, there's a cat. You get into bed and there are cats under your duvet. You go into the kitchen and a million cats appear at your feet yowling for food. I don't know why I did it really. ;)

When I posted the remark about the cat breeder's house, I really hoped I

wasn't offending any cat mad person on the forum :roll::D The house wasn't just full of real cats, everything was 'cat'. The door bell, the door mat,

pictures on the walls, I checked out the bookcases, just cat books :roll: Everywhere there was catanalia. The thing that really impressed me was that the house didn't smell of cat at all, quite how they achieve this with 20 cats and 4 kittens is beyond me, it was all impeccably clean, nice. :) Aunty e I guess you do it because you really love your cats, even though they drive you barmy.

Tessa

Oh I see! We try to keep the Kittenalia to a minimum, but I'm afraid that our house has not managed to stay kitty odour free, mostly thanks to the mass bouts of diarrhoea we had.

If anyone has any tips, I'd be grateful, but I think short of replacing my carpets (I'm seriously considering it), I'm stuck with it now. I've cleaned them twice, steam cleaned them twice and the amount of odour remover I've put down has to be seen to be believed.

:(

I still love them though. Even when they poo on me.

I still love them though. Even when they poo on me.

:shock::shock::D

My last cat, the evil Oscar, had many many faults :evil: but one thing

he was, was clean........until the day when I had just finished my years

accounts all ready to deliver to the accountant. I was foolish enough to

leave the ledgers and two neat piles of receipts on the floor, the *****

cat peed all over them :twisted: I just didn't know what to do, couldn't

wash them, so I just delivered them, smelling disgusting, with a very

apologetic note :oops::oops:

Tessa

I have two cat ornaments and thats about it though we do have some paintings and photos of the cats. Mine aren't that bad inside but my Bengal is likely to be the one to pee in the sink if I dont throw her out in time :evil: My Abby loves to chew paper - always has done - kids had to go into school once with a note saying the cat chewed their homework - it was true- but I dont think their teachers believed me :oops::lol::lol:

Cats are weird sometimes, maybe you cat lovers can help me on this one? We don't have a cat flap and the cats are only allowed out when we are home so that means we have to have 2 large litter trays.

They are really very clean cats and always use the trays BUT Missy developed an odd habit? We bought a very large sofa type bean bag from Next which is black faux leather and for some reason Missy wees on it? We cleaned it the 3 consecutive times it happened with detergent and stuff to discourage cats but she kept doing it?

It's in the garage now as we gave up. :evil: Why would an otherwise clean cat who 'goes' outside and uses the trays when desperate do that? She also has a carpet shredding issue that the others dont despite the provision of scratching posts etc - she is a very happy and affectionate little mog so we really don't get it?

I hope this is not hijacking your thread Tessa but as there are so many cat people here and we are on the subject of 'clean cats' I hope you don't mind me asking here? :?:)

My Bengal Maya does that to any new cushions on the sofa as well - gave up with them and now dont have any. She only does it when things are new - maybe its the smell of what they are filled with that attracts them, like the pheremones in cleaning stuff? Have you tried spraying it with Feliway? It comes as a plug in or a spray and reassures cats - I use it in my cat baskets sometimes when I think they may be stressed. It may reassure her thats its just an old cat thing after all and she doesnt need to wee on it? Just an idea :?

I would suggest using feliway spray on the beanbag and on any bits of the carpet she scratches. It could be that there's a smell from the beanbag that she feels the need to mark on, and the feliway should cover anything like that. It's brilliant stuff. She might scratch the carpet because she can stretch fully - I had to get a really tall scratching post so that the Maus could stretch out completely, or they wouldn't use it.

Tessa, 16 days and counting! I'm counting for you! :D

:D:D Thank you Sarah. I picked up a brand new cat litter box with a

roof today from Freecycle, as that is what the kitten is using right now. It

is sitting in my kitchen and I can just imagine Google pooing in it :roll:

Tessa

We have 2 litter trays, the standard open variety one and the giant lidded one too like yours :shock::roll: If your igloo one (as we call it) is big like ours you need to buy giant litter tray liners - we get ours from Jolleys. Do you have one of those pet chains near you? The 'big' ones don't fit. I also reccommend Catsan for the litter. It is expensive but it really does absorb odour Tessa.

Only just caught up with this thread :oops: I struggle most days to get out of the NB :oops::lol:

I have a couple of Main Coons 8) One is just never enough, much like chickens :lol: Bella will be 2 in Sept and Azlan will be 1 in Sept. Both from the same breeder in the Isle Of Wight. A very lovely normal lady considering her occupation :wink: Both of them go out and both have free access to the cat flap. I found 2 cats using the litter try to much as it had to be kept upstairs otherwise the dog would have eaten the poo :vom: They both love going out and bringing home prezzies :vom: Bella usually mice and Azlan has taken a liking to rabbits :roll: Bella is a bit of a moody boot and everything has to be on her terms :roll: Azlan however is sooo affectionate and loves cuddles at every opportunity, a bit of a tart really :lol: He also likes coming with you when you take the dog out 8) Bella is the tortie colour and Azlan is the red one. Azlan is not far of the size of Bella :shock:

DSC_0048.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your girl Tessa :wink:

Note - I have resized them but only the one of Bella has worked :?

I use a wheat based cat litter when I have indoor trays. I try not to have indoor trays, but we've only just put the big one outside after seven months of having it indoors. The mums have one, but it's never that bad really as there's only two of them. the nice things about wheaty cat litter are that it's cheap, it smells yummy, you can flush it down the loo, and once the poo is fished out, you can pop it on your compost heap, and if the chucks eat it, it's not that bad for then :)

this is my Maine coon lst year. The trainer is a size 10 for scale. She's not grown since then, and weighs 2Kg at best and 1.5Kg when she's having a bad week. :(

Dilly.jpg

Aaaw more lovely pics 8) I am happy to read that some of you do let your cats out, the breeder I am buying from was not one of those who was against it, he just said that most owners don't. I am intending to treat my MC exactly the same way I have treated all my past cats. A litter box to begin with and then house training in the normal way, as I have said I do not like litter boxes in the house :vom: We have a large cat flat, as the dog uses it too, so the cat will be free to come and go as she pleases. With access to the garden hopefully we wont need any equipment for claw sharpening etc., I am not intending to provide a special cat bed either, which brings me on to this question.....

It is 20 odd years since I had a kitten, always adopted mature moggies, so

on the first night she arrives what should I do? Should I leave the cat carrier that she will travel in, in the kitchen open with a blanket in it, this way she will have access to food, water and the poo tray, any suggestions?

Tessa

It was 21 years since I had a kitten and made the mistake with Bella of letting her have the run of the house from the moment she arrived. It was to much for the poor thing and she used DD2 duvet as a loo as she was to confused/scared to work out where the litter tray was. I then kept her in the family bathroom with her food, litter tray, toys and bed until she settled down. We would visit regularly for a cuddle and stroke. We did the same for Azlan but he settled in quicker then Bella, so was let loose earlier. We have a scratch post which Bella used from day one 8) However Azlan used the furniture and carpets :? that was until he saw Bella using the post and copied her :D You might change your mind on that one Tessa :wink:

Will the dog also be in the kitchen when you settle the kitten in?

With my last kitten I had the luxury of space :lol:

I used to shut him in the hallway upstairs during the day with food, water a tray and scratching post and toys and he also had access to my bedroom and this continued until he was about 6 months old :oops:

I was too scared to let him outside as my last one was run over I live in the middle of nowhere so it took some doing :roll:

The first day I let him have the whole house I came home to find he had dismantled every tealight candle in the place about 15 in total he had taken the wax out of the case and the wick and metal out of the wax :lol:

I never did find all of the bits either :?

I can laugh now but I was furious with the little tyke at the time :roll:

The first day I let him have the whole house I came home to find he had dismantled every tealight candle in the place about 15 in total he had taken the wax out of the case and the wick and metal out of the wax :lol:

I never did find all of the bits either :?

:shock: Poop with a wick :lol::lol::lol:

Will the dog also be in the kitchen when you settle the kitten in?

The dog has free access to everywhere in the house, to get to the dog door she has to go through the kitchen into where the w.machine is and then through to the bathroom where the dog door is, it's weird you can be sitting on the loo and suddenly the dog bursts through the dog flap, visitors have had a shock :shock: The dog is very old and slow and totally non aggressive, I really don't think she will bother a tiny kitten. Okay I'm getting seriously nervous now :?

Tessa

I was mentioning it because the cat might be scared of the dog, not the other way round :lol: Our dog is used to cats also but it took a little while for Bella and Azlan to get used to the dog. I did not mean to make you nervous :shock:

I was mentioning it because the cat might be scared of the dog, not the other way round :lol: Our dog is used to cats also but it took a little while for Bella and Azlan to get used to the dog. I did not mean to make you nervous :shock:

It's ok Paola, it's not you :) I was nervous about getting chickens, I'm sure

we all were to begin with. I keep telling myself it's just a kitten, albeit a 'posh' one :shock: The dog spends 20 hours out of 24 sleeping, I don't think she will be a problem. I think the 2yr old grandson will be the one to watch with the kitten :roll:

Tessa