I would definitely leave the cat carrier there so she has somewhere 'safe' to retreat to. My own experience (and it's a while since I had a kitten) is that any new cat usually retreats under the nearest bit of furniture until it has had a chance to assess the surroundings.

Even Brave Sir Wellington did that, and he's a big hunky cat - disappeared under the bed, and wouldn't come out. I awoke at about 2.00 am to hear someone purring in my ear and kneading the pillow enthusiastically, and we haven't looked back since!

I wouldn't be too worried if she does this though - give it an hour or two and she'll be out to investigate, kittens in particular can't resist investigating.

I have a cat litter recommendation. I don't know what the name of the brand is but I use the stuff that looks like crystals and it's amazing. It absorbs all smells and seems to drag any liquid out of the poos so if they go in the night, by morning it doesn't smell and it's really dry so easy to scoop out.

I also use some cat litter tray liners from Pets at Home. They look a bit like nappies and the brand they used to sell had baking powder inside them, these are a bit different but they are fantastic. The cats don't scratch through them and they don't tear and again they absorb all the nasty niffs!! The ones they stock now are by Arm and Hammer, or whatever the company is called.

Both the crystal litter and the liners cost a bit more than some other brands but they do last much, much longer and give me a niff free zone!!

I have a cat litter recommendation. I don't know what the name of the brand is but I use the stuff that looks like crystals and it's amazing. It absorbs all smells and seems to drag any liquid out of the poos so if they go in the night, by morning it doesn't smell and it's really dry so easy to scoop out.

I also use some cat litter tray liners from Pets at Home. They look a bit like nappies and the brand they used to sell had baking powder inside them, these are a bit different but they are fantastic. The cats don't scratch through them and they don't tear and again they absorb all the nasty niffs!! The ones they stock now are by Arm and Hammer, or whatever the company is called.

Both the crystal litter and the liners cost a bit more than some other brands but they do last much, much longer and give me a niff free zone!!

I use that as well as I find it desn't get matted in their hairy bottoms! :lol: I tried the corn stuff for a while but didnt like it and went back to Litter Pearls. Good stuff :D I should add that a friend of mine who breeds Somalis swears by Chick crumbs and they are much cheaper than cat litter...................

Hmmm cat litter. The wheat based one sounds interesting and the crystals

sound good. I did notice that the breeder used the regular grey granule stuff that comes in blue and yellow paper sacks so I will probably start with that as the kitten will be used to it. Tbh in the past I have never used bought cat litter, just used earth from the garden, as that it where I hope the cat will end up using as it's loo :) Never used tray liners either, just newspaper :roll: I also noticed at the breeders the kittens had access to dried food all the time,

I can't do that as the greedy dog would eat any food lying around. Do your cats have food on tap, or special feeding times?

Tessa

I also noticed at the breeders the kittens had access to dried food all the time,

I can't do that as the greedy dog would eat any food lying around. Do your cats have food on tap, or special feeding times?

Tessa

My boys have pouched food twice a day, once in the morning and again when it's dusk, the chickens are shut in and the boys are then shut in the house for the night (so this can be at 4.30 in winter and 10 in summer!). These are their "routine" food times and they know they will get these and ask for them.

I leave cat biscuits down in a separate bowl, which they snack on during the day. I never leave a full bowl though, just sprinkle on throughout the day when they ask me for some. I'm at home all day, so this works quite well. This way, they associate me with food so will ask me and come and find me, rather than them just popping in, eating and wandering off again - this way I know their movements!! If I'm away for the whole day, I leave the dried food full. Most cats don't overeat, like dogs can.

Diane

PS with the pouches, I always add some warm water into the pouch once I've squeezed the first lot out, and mix it into their bowls - they love to lap up the "gravy" first and this way I know they are getting liquid in their diets. Cats don't always drink enough and can suffer with uninary problems as a result so I know they are getting water this way.

We tend to leave dried food out most of the day. Wr have to feed them upstairs or the dog would scoff it :roll: The will get wet food occasionally as a treat. I found if they have wet food all the time it gives mine runny bottoms :roll:

MIne share a tin between 5 of them in the morning ( doesn't last long :lol: ) and then we leave biscuits down all day on a kitchen worksurface so they can get it and the dog doesnt. ( it's not one where we prepare food!) They do self regulate - none of mine are overweight. except maybe Taz but he doesnt eat nearly as much as the others - the vet says he has a slower metabolic rate :wink:

I give dried food only after the giardia fun. The mummy cats are getting a little pouch food each day, and Dilly gets chicken to build her up at the moment, but wet food is the work of the Devil. It makes the poo STINK and I don't like the way that my cats act when they want it, it's like they're addicted.

:D Yep, Friday should be the day. The breeder said he would 'phone me this week sometime. It all depends on how she reacted to her last vaccination.

All kitty supplies purchased, just need to buy her very own feeding dish. We have piles of dishes but I think she deserves her own :oops: Am getting very excited.

Tessa

Hi Tessa

Have you decided what to do overnight the first night or two ?

Now this idea would probably strike many as silly but I know you're all as daft about looking after your animals as me :oops: But you could try freecycle to see if anyone has an old baby monitor they have finished with.

When we introduced our new kitten our existing cat tried to back out the cat flap and was not happy so I was a bit nervous the first night and slept downstairs on the sofa bed in the kitchen area (truly dotty when I'm allergic to cats but I knew I'd worry if I went upstairs and the baby monitor idea didn't occur to me until afterwards). Anyway it was fine - no problems whatsoever and I shouldn't have worried before very long the kitten was bossing the older cat and they now sleep cuddled up together.

We do have a baby monitor in the house which was used for my grandson, but it is one of those fancy movement/breathing monitors which have to be placed under the matress, so I doubt it would be suitable. :roll: She is going to have to take her chances I'm afraid. The dog has to have access to the kitchen at night because she is an old lady and needs to wee quite frequently :oops: As I have said before I don't envisage the dog menacing the kitten, she is used to cats and is so slow and laid back she will probably have a quick sniff and then be bored. I can see me being up at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning checking on my new baby :)

Tessa

Sadly I don't have one of those Clare, and I don't know any friends that have one either :( We do have a half made broody cage though, maybe I could hassle DH to finish it before Saturday :shock: I'm only joking :) She will be transported in a large wicker/wire pet carrier and that will be left open for her to sleep in and retreat to safety if she gets frightened or freaked. Maybe I am being a bit casual about all this, but I am only doing what I have always done with a new kitten, and that was with 2 dogs and another cat in the house, I am sure she will be fine, fingers x'd :roll:

Tessa

Mine take their chances with the rest of the mob too when they're new, although the baby kittens aren't left on their own with the boy cats. Girl cats are good at switching between play and hunting, boy cats are less good and Nero really REALLY wants to play with the kittens. :evil:

I'm sure she will be fine - I really didn't need to do the sleeping downstairs for the first night :oops: but it made me feel better :lol: actually I ended up doing it two nights as the first night one of my boys joined me and the second night the other felt it was his turn :roll:

I have always turfed new kittens in at the deep end which in my house means coming upstairs to sleep on my bed :oops:

Only had one disaster when Tink was first home he peed on the duvet and all over the phone handset that was lying on the bed :lol:

But it washes off :roll:

:lol: trouble is, even a house-trained kitten can sometimes react differently when scared or excited. One of my former cats had a habit of peeing on something soft when she was a kitten - the duvet got it so many times that it had to go. (This was many years ago - you try washing a duvet in a twin-tub!)

She'll soon settle in. I'm very 'in at the deep end' as well - presumably you trust the dog not to get over-excited. I think from what you've said, the dog is probably not going to bat an eyelid.

:D:D Google has arrived home. She didn't enjoy the car ride home, we got caught up in the traffic leaving Wembly after some daft football match :evil:

We opened her travel basket and she shot straight behind the fridge/freezer where she has been for the past 30minutes :roll: So no pics tonight folks.

Her pedigreee name is Coonslair Amazing Grace, which is rather nice I think.

Gonna try and tempt her out for a play and a cuddle.

Tessa