Clare

Help - Chickens with Red Faces!

Hello All! I am Clare. :D Very new to the chicken game so please bare with me. I need some advice, as I am slighty confused about my chickens behaviour! Please Help!

We have had our chickens (3) for two weks now. Maggie, Martha and Maisy. We have 2 slightly older ones and one younger one. The guy who delivered them thought Maggie may be a few weeks younger, as she was smaller and didn't have a full comb yet. They have all settled in fine and are loving their new home! :D

Today we cleaned them out and I noticed that both Maisy and Martha had bright red combs and around their eyes their skin was red!! It wasn't constant and after a while it went down. However, it appears to come and go. I have never seen them like this and am wondering if anyone knew what they were doing? Or what was wrong? The best way I can describe the way they looked is - flushed. I thought we may have annoyed them as we were cleaning their home! :wink: Either that or they are about to lay. We haven't had any eggs yet!

I am a bit confused about what is going on. Have they picked something up? Are they unhappy? Maisy does make a strange growling noise but she has since we got her, she is a confident little thing!

Advice would be great thank you.

Clare

Hi and welcome Clare!

Don't worry - your girls are having hormonal surges. Getting redder in the face is a good sign that they will lay soon. Sometimes it does vary - almost looks like they are blushing doesn't it? 8)

Thank you for your advice Snowy :D

I was getting a bit worried as I was unsure on what was going on.

It is a bit like blushing - Yes. I even thought they might be angry! ... Good news though, I am hoping to have an eggie soon!

Thank you again

Clare

Hello and welcome.

Snowy is right!

They will be maturing and getting ready to lay eggs.

They will start to crouch as you approach soon and this is another sign that they are ready.

The first egg usually appears about a week to 10 days after the crouching starts.

Thank you Eglutine and Snowy! :D

Its good to know I have the support here if I need it! (I am sure I will again in the future!) .... We have never had chickens before so this is all new to us. We have researched keeping chickens but doing that and keeping them are different things! .... I just get a bit worried as I don't want to do anything wrong. I think the reassurance from other chicken owners like yourselves is just what I need.

I will look out for the crouching, thank you for letting me know. I have checked their legs and they are very pale so I hoping we will have our first egg soon! ... I will be sure to let you know!

Clare

Maggie, Martha and Maisy

The crouching thing is not foolproof though...we have two laying out of four and neither have ever crouched. They are tamer than the non-layers though.

The reddening combs seems the most reliable for our two. One lays every day and has the reddest comb, the other lays every other day and her comb is a bit paler. I think one of the others will lay soon as her comb is getting bigger and is a bit redder than the last who shows no sign at present. It will be interesting to see if I'm right :wink: