Cloud9

Urgent advice please - poorly chicken :(

Hi all,

Can you help? We have been out and when we got back one of our chickens was sitting in the nesting area of the Eglu and wouldn't come out. Hubby has since let them out (we let them free range mostly in the evenings when we are here for various reasons) and she has come out very reluctantly and is all puffed up and not moving much. Hubby says her vent is mucky.

She has had a few sips of water but has since gone back into the Eglu. I'm worried as she keeps closing her eyes and looks really peaky. Any advice or ideas as to what may be wrong with her? Hubby says he will take her to the vet tomorrow if she's still not well but I'm frantic that she is seriously ill and I don't want to lose her. We are novice chicken keepers and have looked in our book but it doesn't say too much.

Desperate for any advice PLEASE.

Ali

This hot water doesn't make any of our chooks feels very well.

There are quite a few things that could be wrong with her. Perhaps a wobbly egg is on it's way? Or maybe she has a trapped egg? You say she has a mucking vent - has this been like that for quite a while?

I'd keep a close eye on her. Please try not to worry too much - obviously take her to the vets if she doesn't get any better, but I think getting water down her is important.

Also if you have any poultry tonic (which you can buy from the Omlet website) might make her feel a little better. One of our first hens, Florence, always used to get under the weather when the summer got hot. She'd lay wobbly eggs and wouldn't come out of the nesting box, and we had to take her to the vets a few times. One of the most effective things we did for her was give her water - we used to drip it in through her beak with a syringe/pipette.

The only other things I could think of that you could check is her skin - is it red/sore? Maybe mites are making her feel poorly?

I hope someone else is along shortly and I've managed to provide some comfort. My girls have always been a bit funny in hot weather.

Why aren't you a fan of Verm-X? I just got some through the post today to worm my chooks with. They aren't showing any signs of worms at the moment - i just thought it'd be a good idea to worm them :)

Just read over your post again Cloud9, and your hen is displaying the exact same signs that my Florence used to. Don't mark my words because it might not be the same, but whenever Florence had a funny turn and laid some wobbly eggs, she would go very pale, close her eyes, and sit down at any opportunity.

Hi Imo, she has been extremely well up until today. This morning she seemed fine although neither has laid today and only one laid yesterday but not sure which one. She has not had a mucky bum at all but I've just remembered she was making a hell of a row yesterday.

If she has an egg stuck would it clear itself or does that require a visit to the vets.

Hubby has just come in and said he cannot see any soreness, redness, signs of lice or mites. He has washed down her back end for her.

Any other ideas or advice very gratefully received - thanks.

Ali

As the Imo has said, make sure she is drinking lots. Chickens can dehydrate very quickly in this warm weather.

Maybe add a spoonful of honey to the water to get some glucose inside her?

I'm sure she will be better in the morning and you will probably has a softie in the droppings tray. It can make them feel really poorly.

I agree with Egluntine. Flubenvet is the best wormer available IMHO.

Hope she is better soon.

C x

I've never had a chook whose been eggbound, but I think someone has suggested holding the chook over steam before and trying to get some olive oil down them? Again, don't quote me on that :roll:

Edit: :cry: Wish I'd known before that Verm-X isn't the best wormer - oh well, like I said, I'm pretty sure my girls don't have worms right now so the wormer will act as a precaution instead of a cure. If they ever get a bought of worms, I'll be sure to order the other one :lol:

Oh! Another thing I used to give Florence when she was ill was a weetabix with some water, or any veg that was watery, such as sweetcorn. Just to get some water down them.

She used to really perk up once she'd had water and she lived to a ripe old age :)

Try not to panic - i know its hard. :(

I would bring her in for the evening and tuck her up in a box with some straw.

As stated above keeping her hydrated is really important so if you can get a little water into her then thats a good thing.

If her presentation has not changed in the morning then it would be wise to take her to the vet to get checked over.

Do keep us posted on her progress.

She has not had a mucky bum at all

I'm confused ow as in your first post you say that she has had a mucky vent.

As the others say, keep her well hydrated, sloppy food such as pekkets mixed with water and grapes, cucumber, tomatoes, anything "moist" will help.

If she seems unwell tomorrow, why not give the vet a ring to be on the safe side.

Hi Eglutine,

Sorry for the confusion. I mean that she hadn't had a mucky vent until this afternoon/evening.

Thanks to you all for your replies. I just hope she gets through tonight as comfortably as possible and is well tomorrow. Hubby did give her some water with honey and fed her this with a syringe and she did seem to drink quite a lot. Hope it is just the weather and nothing more.

She hasn't shown any signs of worms and we did them just as a precaution as we do our dogs.

Will keep you all posted.

Ali

Hi all,

Sophia is still rather under the weather and is on her way to the vets as I type. I am so worried. She came out of the Eglu this morning and just stood by the water glug but wouldn't drink. She then sat down and had her eyes closed most of the time. Her comb is beginning to flop over too. I'm so sad and trying to fight off the tears. I just hope she will be OK.

Ali :(

She sounds just like mine go when a softie is on the way. She will be like this all afternoon/evening, lay a softie or two overnight then be absolutly fine by the next morning. Hope it's just somthing along these lines and nothing more sinister.

Hi all,

Well hubby is back from vets with Sophia who is rather sore! She had a stuck egg and apparently it was the size of a goose egg according to hubby. The vet was fab and said to keep an eye on her as she might have a prolapsed something (hubby couldn't remember what) but that would just require a few stitches.

Hubby forgot to ask why this happened and how to prevent it so if anyone has any ideas/advice please let me know as I definitely don't want the poor lady to have to go through this again.

Fingers crossed she will be back to her usual happy self real soon.

Ali :)

Gosh!

Am glad all is well.

Maybe some extra calcium will help the contractions required to push the eggs out. Why not add some limestone flour to her pellets. Available from equestrian shops, or Ebay (sold for reptiles).

Edited by Guest