Cloud9

Urgent advice please - poorly chicken :(

Hi people, Gert was egg bound a few days ago. We noticed on Friday that she was having problems laying.. She visited her laying place a couple of times during the day and then she became ill and was trying to lay on the grass as she walked about. She was so ill at the weekend, we thought we were losing her. Hunched up, not interested in anything around her and her breathing was very shallow. We isolated her, putting her into a cool area away from the others after treating her as I have described below.

This is what we did and it appears successful too.

Firstly we put olive oil around her vent and whilst I held her my husband gently pulled the egg sack out. He then cleaned her vent with warm water and put more olive oil round the vent.

On Saturday she was displaying the same symptoms, so we went through the procedure again. This time though we managed to get some cold liver oil into her with a syringe and the following morning she got rid of any muck in her system. We gave her more cod liver oil yesterday evening, although she seemed fine during the day.

I suspect she has tried to lay too early, she is a Sussex and only about 7 months old and has been laying weird eggs for about a month. We are restricting her diet and giving her some chick mix to take her off lay and hopefully by the next egg cycle she will be mature enough to cope.

My grandfather had hens when I was young and the old fashioned method I have described above always seem to work for his hens.

Cloud I was so very sorry to read about the death of Sophia, it really does hurt doesnt it. It is lovely to read that you have got some new hens though.

Hi Lizzie,

So glad that Gert seems to have got over her problem. Do you know how to stop a hen becoming eggbound in the first place? I would hate to see any of my girls go through what poor Sophia did. I will also keep a note of your tip. I have to say though that hubby took Sophia to the vets and he said there is no way she would have moved the egg naturally as it was as round as an apple :(

The two new girls are settling in. I feel a bit awful now as we just put them in with Emily and now I've read lots about letting them see each other first and introducing them gradually etc etc. :oops: We did ask for some advice and it was suggested to get two new girls as Emily couldn't boss them both about at the same time.

However, I'm glad to say that Emily and Daisy seem to have bonded. Poor Buttercup on the otherhand is still getting pecked and chased but thankfully not too much and it was very pleasing to see all girls out in the run and eating around each other for quite a bit of the time today. I think Buttercup is bullied more as she seems very timid. Hopefully as she gains in confidence Emily will bother her less.

At least they get some reprieve when Emily is out and about in the garden. Hope to get the youngsters out at the weekend too for the first time.

Fingers crossed they all get along - I hate to see any bullying.

Cloud, it is very distressing watching an egg bound hen. One thing that might prevent it is not to overfeed. I put Gert on chick feed for a few days to bring her off lay. She has laid a couple of eggs over the past few days and at the moment she and the eggs seem fine. The eggs are not too big but I have a horrible feeling them are going to be double yolkers which is not good. Good luck with your brood.

All three hens are now the best of friends. Emily has laid every day with no problem although the shells are now are much lighter brown?? Any idea why this could be? She has also strained her leg so is limping poor girl but other than that she seems in great shape.

Ali :)

I am sorry to say I think we are going to go through it all again with Gert. Since the two eggs she laid she has visited her laying place and sat for an hour or more but no eggs. She seems happy enough at the moment but I suspect that she is getting egg bound again. I am so upset about this because she is a lovely hen. :cry:

Aw thanks for your kind wishes Cloud and Christian, hugs to you both. I have put her back on chick feed today and although all three are true free range, she is shut up in an old and large guinea pig run and will have to stay there for a while. We discussed her long term future last night and my husband said that we must keep giving her the treatment, being aware of her condition and as long as she is not suffering we keep her. That was a great relief to me because Gert and Daisy are such young and lovely hens, phew.