Ange1

What to lay in a run, the cube will be on block paving?!

Hi you knowledgeable folks!

I visited Merrydale farm in Leciestershire on Saturday, the breeder there suggested that I use largeish sharp edged gravel/stones the size of 50p piece.

I've not read on this forum of anyone who has done this in their cube run.

We want to put our cube on the patio and put something down for them to stratch around.

Bark seems to be popular, but the breeder says that it goes slimey and you have to replace it regularly whereas hardcore sharp largeish gravel doesn't need replacing, you just need to hose it down weekly?

What is people's experience please, does anyone here use gravel or have any advice? I know that the cube run will sit nice and flat on the block paving but obviously we want to put something down in the run for them to stratch about in etc!

The girls will be aloud in the garden, on grass etc when we are in weekends and evenings etc!

I'll look forward to your advice.

I've got 8 long weeks to wait, so I am being an eager beaver I guess - can't wait!

I tidied up the shed in readyness for making space for feed etc.

Hi,

Lots of people use Aubiose or Hemcore for their run base. Its light, natural,highly absorbant & compostable. They are equinne bedding & can be found in horse supply shops. Its about £7.50 for a big bale,which will last for ages & you can also use it in the nest box & littler tray (its by far the best stuff for these areas)

As its so absorbant it sort of sucks all the wet out of the poo, leaving it easy to pick up if you want.If you are not bothered,then it soon gets kicked in & disappears anyhow.

You could then very easliy sweep it out & refresh it as & when you need.

Unless the Eglu is in a contained are it may get kicked out of the run a bit, so if you like things neat that might be a problem.

Not sure about gravel,but wouldn't the poos clog up in it a bit :?

Okay, sounds good!

I was going to put a row of bricks round base of run to stop it blowing away.

Though I am not too bothered about garden being too neat and tidy - :wink: the chickens sound like a good excuse for a messy garden!

This breeder seemed to think it would only be good for indoors and it's not ideal to get wet. But a cube does have a cover, so it should be okay.

Will I need to buy a broom with a small enough head to get through the door in the run of the cube so I can sweap out every 6 weeks?!

I'm the same as Rhapsody and have a couple of kick boards down the sides of the run to stop them kicking the Aubiose out. Otherwise it is a dream.

I would be concerned about the chooks hurting the pads on the bottom of their feet with the stones/gravel. I have heard of people keeping chooks on pea shingle before, but it's very rare.