madamecholet

Hi, advice needed Doris is poorly

Hi everyone

I'm quite new to this but here goes - We adopted Hattie and Doris last August from a farmer friend. Not sure how old they are but have been laying well ever since, 2 eggs a day most days. Lately however we've only been getting 1 egg a day and not sure whose.

Anyway Doris has been off colour since last Friday, her tails down and she's a bit hunched up. Saturday we found the remains of an egg with a shell, what there was of it, like tissue paper so put Doris's malaise down to this, Sunday she perked up but yesterday she was still looking very sorry for herself and this morning she was very reluctant to come out of the nest area. There was another very thin shelled egg in the nest box.

I've bought her in and given her a warm bath as her bottom was a bit dirty . Offered her some cooked mashed up potato and peas with some cooked noodles (one of her favourites) and she ate with enthusiasm. Got some water into her with a syringe just to be on the safe side and she's now in the dining room in a box with some food and water. They are both wormed regularly and have no signs of mite etc.

Is there anything further I can do for Doris, I do hate to see her looking so miserable. :(:(

Very sorry to hear Doris is not well although it's good that she's eating and drinking okay.

Soft shelled eggs can make them feel very poorly for a while. Has she got access to oyster shell grit?

It may be worth supplementing her food with some limestone flour to make sure she gets extra calcium which will help her produce hard shells.

Maybe a general tonic in her water might give her a boost too.

Hope she feels better soon.

I had 2 hens from a local farm and one of them was prone to laying soft shelled eggs. On a couple of occasions the egg hadn't passed fully so she'd strike the poorly pose but usually within 24 hours the remaining egg would be passed.

However on one other occasion I found a soft shelled egg but was unsure as to who laid it. She appeared poorly but was going through a moult at the time so I wasn't sure if she was having a rough time with that. She also developed a dirty bottom. Anyway to cut a long story short she had peritonitis. We took her to the vet but we'd left it too long and the infection had really taken hold of her.

I'd recommend you take her to the vet who, depending if it is peritonitis, may provide you with either Baytril or Noroclav which are antibiotics.

I don't want to cause panic and it could be something else completely different but I'd try and get it sorted sooner rather than later.

I really hope Doris improves.

Hi omleteers

Thanks for all your advice. Have been and bought some limestone flour. I've mixed a little with the chooks afternoon mash along with a little more of the cooked noodles and Doris does seem a little perkier. I've put her back with her friend Hattie so I'll see how she is tomorrow. They always have some oyster shell/grit in a pot in the run but I've mixed some in with their pellets so hopefully they'll eat it at the same time.

Anyway fingers crossed, I'll keep everyone updated on progress.

Thanks again, Sue

Update on Doris.....

After Doris seemed better on Tuesday she went downhill again yesterday. She wouldn't come out of the eglu and looked very miserable all day :( . This morning I steeled myself to open the door fully expecting to find bad news but.......

She ran out, had a long drink and then set about having a good feed. Her tail is still not it's usual perky self and we did have another "softie" but at least she seems more interested today. She is currently sunning herself in the run having been scratching about most of the morning.

So here's hoping...... :)

Thanks for all the advice and kind thoughts.

Hi everyone

Sad news I'm afraid; despite seeming to improve Doris went downhill again yesterday and this morning she went to the final eglu in the sky.

So far Hattie, our remaining chook, doesn't seem at all bothered but we'll keep a close eye on her and give her lots of extra attention.

Thanks for everyones' concern, interest and advice but it wasn't to be. :cry::cry:

Oh - so sorry to hear this. At least she had a good life.

Poor Hattie. Our Maisy really grieved when Matilda died, so you may find this hits her soon. Chickens aren't solitary animals, so you should think about getting a new pal for Hattie soon.