This is just me musing for the day: what's the cost of cubes in eggs, we are asking ourselves here in rainy Berkshire...

This is all because we decided that (okay I decided :) ), for the kind of space and garden we have, and the amount of space we want our three chickens to roam around in most of the time, to get the 1m extension for our cube as well. So we added that to the order today. Three meters for 3 hens. What lucky gals.

But then I saw the total and nearly fell off my own perch. My OH is still in a state of shock. He calculated that it would take us between 4 and 8 years :!: for three regularly laying hens to 'repay' us for the outlay of the cube and run and feed, etc., etc. Oh my. As the husband said, "These better be very good eggs!"

But then... before I moaned about what-an-expensive-thing-this-is-am-i-mad, I decided to do some research online. Now, others can tell me if they have found the same, but... I don't think the Omlet products are that much more expensive for what you get, are they? I started to price up other pre-made chicken houses and runs that would equal the cube and 3m of run space. Most of those cost between £500 and £900! Some hundreds more than the Cube and then you have the annual expenses of mite and infestation worries with wood treatments, etc.

I dunno -- is this wishful thinking on my part -- aren't the Eglu and Cube really as good a value for money as you can buy (as opposed to hand-making your own house, that is)? Or am I kidding myself and this is just a wackily expensive hobby! :shock:

Hi Stephanie

I am just down the way from you in Oxfordshire :D

Its rainy here too :lol:

Cubes are not cheap, but they are an investement.

In my opinion when you get into this chicken keeping lark,you are buying into a lifestyle.

Since we got our first 3 hens we have started growing our own veggies,composting & generally making positive changes to our lifes.

It hurts my head to even try to work out the cost of a cube in eggs,but to be honest it is even worse to think of life with no cube & no hens at all :?:lol:

I came to the same conclusion - to get a wooden house of equivalent space and quality you have to pay out the same amount. I had in fact ordered a wooden house (£450) but after a bit more research cancelled and ordered my lovely (pink eglu). So I even saved a bit of money. :D

In my opinion when you get into this chicken keeping lark,you are buying into a lifestyle. Since we got our first 3 hens we have started growing our own veggies,composting & generally making positive changes to our lifes.

Oh that's funny, as we've done things in reverse -- our (okay, once again, my) chicken keeping is a result of years of gradually changing ourlifestyle, without even planning to -- the composting, my husband's herbs and veg, me learning to green up my brown thumbs in general (much better with animals, me), and looking to move somewhere we can utilise the land more and shops less.

Yes, you're right, it is as much part of a lifestyle or attitude to life than just a hobby.

So I even saved a bit of money. :D

Now, that's what I told the husband! I saved us money in the end, because, trust me, the lovely wooden house I was going to order was hefty :lol: -- and as we are going to sell the house some time this year (of course we said that last year), a cube will look quite palatable to non-chicken people bounding about sizing us up.

This is just me musing for the day: what's the cost of cubes in eggs, we are asking ourselves here in rainy Berkshire...

This is all because we decided that (okay I decided :) ), for the kind of space and garden we have, and the amount of space we want our three chickens to roam around in most of the time, to get the 1m extension for our cube as well. So we added that to the order today. Three meters for 3 hens. What lucky gals.

:shock:

Snap!! :D I rang first thing this morning and added an extension on too!! I can't even think about my end bill what with the extras and other "shopping! Have been getting really worried about the amount of time they will be enclosed.. don't think I will ever be able to justify the cost in eggs.. but in affection, cuddles and pure fun?? probably! :lol:

Snap!! I rang first thing this morning and added an extension on too!! I can't even think about my end bill what with the extras and other "shopping!

:lol: -- oh, yes, the extra shopping. I have had to hide that in the regular shopping bills so I can maintain the moral-economic high ground! It's amazing to note that Clean & Safe, mealworms, grit, bowl for the grit, lilac coloured tubtrug, and other assorted items can be gotten at my local garden centre, where I was sent to pick up some edging for his veggie bed and some plants for my hanging baskets. He did raise an eyebrow at the cost of planting this year, but I just sighed and blamed it on the rising fuel prices and the extra cost of haulage.

I am bad... I know.

I think they are great value for money IMO. For the ease of cleaning alone they are sooo worth the money as no matter how you tried you wouldnt be able to power wash, scrub and completely dry a wooden house in a matter of minutes.

We recently sold our 17month old eglu for just under £300, so they also hold their money very well. :D

I look at it like this....if it were a dog or a cat one wouldn't consider for a moment how long it would take them to earn their keep.

My hens are my hobby and other hobbies cost money, often massive amounts.

With my hobby I get the bonus of beautiful eggs. You can't say that about motorcycle scrambling or watercolour painting. :lol:

I look at it like this....if it were a dog or a cat one wouldn't consider for a moment how long it would take them to earn their keep.

Absolutely! One of my greyhounds was ill last year and cost us nearly £800 in vets bills, then, a few weeks ago he had to have 16 teeth out which cost us another £500...

I could have had TWO omlet cubes for that!! :shock: (instead, I've got a toothless dog who still doesn't earn his keep :lol: )

Absolutely! One of my greyhounds was ill last year and cost us nearly £800 in vets bills, then, a few weeks ago he had to have 16 teeth out which cost us another £500...

I could have had TWO omlet cubes for that!! :shock: (instead, I've got a toothless dog who still doesn't earn his keep :lol: )

Don't even get me started on what my two horses cost compared to my cube order! :lol: and one of them had a major operation last year.. now that could have bought .. erm.. about 4 cubes & runs!

And what do I get in return?? mountains of poo and early winter mormings :lol:

:shock:

Snap!! :D I rang first thing this morning and added an extension on too!! I can't even think about my end bill what with the extras and other "shopping! Have been getting really worried about the amount of time they will be enclosed.. don't think I will ever be able to justify the cost in eggs.. but in affection, cuddles and pure fun?? probably! :lol:

Snap - me too!! I added the extension to my order on Tuesday!

Everything comes next Thursday!!

:lol:

Jill

In my opinion when you get into this chicken keeping lark,you are buying into a lifestyle.

Since we got our first 3 hens we have started growing our own veggies,composting & generally making positive changes to our lifes. quote]

Ditto! :D