HelenR

Does the novelty ever wear off?

I have only had my three chooks for just over three weeks and am desparately still waiting for my first egg. I keep myself busy getting up at the crack of stupid o'clock every morning to let them out and then find myself actually looking forward to cleaning out their 'poop tray', scrubbing the water pots, and raking their run... granted the mornings are light and the sun is shining so I'm thoroughly enjoying these tasks at the moment.

My question is this... will I still feel the same way in winter - on cold, wet damp mornings - will some of the novelty wear off do you think ??

Curious Helen!!!

I do! :D I love my hens over a year on. They trash the garden, escape from netting, peck at my toes, poo at my feet, have mites & worms, loose feathers, get stroppy, . . . but they have lovely soft feathers, amusing antics, lovely bok boking and delicious eggs. :D They are worth everything. :D

nope, it doesnt wear off at all. :D

it gets addictable im afraid, chickens take over your life, you bore your friends and work colleagues to death about chickens, in fact anyone you meet will not escape you talking about your chickens! :lol:

and everything in your house becomes chickeny, my kitchen is full of stuff with chicken patterns and chicken ornaments etc. :roll:

wouldnt change it for a thing though, there isnt a day go by when my chickens dont make me laugh or smile.

We've had two eggs already, thought the first one was hiding in there from before we got them, but then we had another one this morning. Every time I open that egg port door I get excited there might be an egg in there.

You scrub the pots? I just rinse them :oops:

I did a bit of 'poo picking' yesterday... was surprised at how easy it is to pick up, despite looking all soft.

I could go on forever, I feel sorry for my clients (hairdresser) captive audience... look interested or I'll cut yer ear off :lol:

I could go on forever, I feel sorry for my clients (hairdresser) captive audience... look interested or I'll cut yer ear off :lol:

how 8) cool.

I would love it if you were my hairdresser! I have highlights regularly (and you know how long that takes) imagine how much chicken chat we could get in! :lol:

:oops::oops: awwww, thank you, chelsea. If you're in Cambridge come up and see me :)

I was surprised at how many people have chicken already... or used to keep them. One person saying 'oooh, you must get a **insert name**'

then someone else saying 'oooh, whatever you do, don't get a **insert same name**'

maybe the first person just didn't like me very much :)

They definitely take over your life, I even bought a wicker basket for egg collection

My OH complains about the mess, threatens to roast poppy unless she lays some eggs and stops freeloading and otherwise pretends to not care at all.

Then when he's at home I catch him giving them cuddles, searching out slugs and snails for them, overloading them with treats and fussing over them.

When questioned he claims that he's collecting slugs to protect the veggies, taming the chickens for the sake of our son and doesn't like to see food go to waste...

Really he's smitten same as the rest of us.. They are great fun to have around

Your OH sounds just like mine.

Searching out treats in the garden, saying he is saving the lettuce, when really he likes to watch them squabble over a snail or two.

I sent my friend a video clip of the chooks and she phoned me to tell me I was 'sad' and definately needed to get a life, I told her she doesnt have chickens, she won't understand.

mine stay at the allotment (5 minutes away on a bike) and ive had them for 6 weeks now. even though they are soooooo far away the novelaty hasnt worn off as i just love to watch them sctraching about !!!!

every time one of my chooks even pokes its head in the house i get excited and have to look and see if they have layed anything.

This is just exactly what I wanted to hear - I enjoy every minute and hope it continues for a long time to come! Here's to cleaning them out on cold winter mornings and trudging about in my wellies in the rain... still waiting for my first egg!!!!! :D