Yolky Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Do wear gloves? Do you use special tools? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phosphorus Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Plastic gloves and a bucket I use a putty knife to s"Ooops, word censored!"e the roosting bars into the droppings tray as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Katie Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 I have an old spade which i flick poo away from the patio into the flower beds.. And the stuff on the grass I leave! Once you have perfected the art of poo flicking it is quite an easy task Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Gloves and a bucket. here too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
munchkin Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 A cat litter scoop and bucket Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
owenofj Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Incredibly inelegantly... move the run round about 90 degrees, then put one leg either side of the dead dead grass and shuffle forwards with gloves on and a few sheets of kitchen roll while mooning the neighbors.... they love it. Terrifyingly vast amounts of poo come out of chickens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gallina Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Trowel and a bucket, then I put it on the compost heap, where it is the best activator ever. My compost heap gets hotter than before and the compost is ready to use very quickly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickybaby Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I never bother to poo pick, it just seems to disappear! I do hose the patio down once a week though and the poo just gets hosed onto the grass. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 An old hand spade and a cut down milk carton. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
urbanchick Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I use a wallpaper s"Ooops, word censored!"er to flick it into an old dustpan. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SharonX Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I use a hand garden tool and a plastic plate (the ones that go under plant pots) I then obsessively pick up every single bit I can find and tip it into a large plastic tub which then goes to the allotment. I do this about 2 to 3 times a day as I can not bare to see my garden in a mess. I couldn't not let them freerange all day so that's the price I pay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cliveb Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I use an old bucket and a trowel. Poo picking takes place about three times a week. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ange1 Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Well I'm obsessed even before I've started this 'poo picking' lark. I bought a hand trowel from the £1 shop yesterday, just 'cos it was a lovely pale pink colour and would tone with my lilac cube! Boyfriend thinks I'm mad as we have 3 other old trowels in the shed, but I said 'yes but they wouldn't go with the cube! And this is just to 'poo pick' I must be mad! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hennymom Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Trowel and bucket here too... but a bucket with a screw on lid.... then given away for compost!! you can't beat a good trowel!! lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I bought a hand trowel from the £1 shop yesterday, just 'cos it was a lovely pale pink colour and would tone with my lilac cube! And this is just to 'poo pick' I must be mad! Yes you must be - no-one else on here would ever colour co-ordinate their poo trowel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ange1 Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Laura, do I detect a very coordinated 'set up' too?!!! Hennymom, I can't imagine a bucket with a screw on lid explain please?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Laura, do I detect a very coordinated 'set up' too?!!! NO (from someone who painted her roosting bars blue to match her run) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egg Lou Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Laura, do I detect a very coordinated 'set up' too?!!! NO (from someone who painted her roosting bars blue to match her run) Hmm.. I have just painted mine in a lovely pistaschio green to match cube! But on the poo picking line.. I use a cat litter scoop and bucket, then dig a hole one of the borders and bury it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I don't poo-pick either ... occasionally sweep or hose the patio if there are some bad ones, but mostly when they're free-ranging they are on the lawn or flower beds. Inside the run ... well it sort of disappears, into the aubiose I guess. I scoop the nestbox with a rubber glove on, and just bang the poo trays straight into the compost heap. I'm going to start digging out last year's compost, next week - can't wait. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hennymom Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Hennymom, I can't imagine a bucket with a screw on lid explain please?? lol it's the shape of a dustbin, about knee high and has a screw on lid... see link below www.merchantexporter.co.uk click on plastic items! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ange1 Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Oh I see! Thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sheik Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Trowel and a bucket, then I put it on the compost heap Exactly what we do for their run. For the patio we have a long-handled dustpan thing that saves bending down. And for runny poo - a jet hose! /\ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hennymom Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Oh I see! Thanks! you're welcome!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surferdog Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Gloves, cat litter scoop (pink of course!) and an old tub. It all goes straight in the compost heap. The lawn just gets hosed down. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I use gardening gloves, a broom, a garden sieve, a trowel and a tubtrug. My run has a sand floor so I sweep all the sand to one side of the run, put it through the sieve with the trowel, then chuck it into the tubtrug to take to the composter. Poo on the lawn gets blasted with the hose. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...