chickencam Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Do you make your own labels Sarah? They always look good. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 23, 2008 Author Share Posted June 23, 2008 Yes,I did them on my Label Factory programme Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Looks lovely Sarah Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 OOh I need a label factory programme Where did you get it from? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 I'm after one of those as well I noticed this weekend that Silver Spoon Jam Sugar is a 4 minute boil but Tate & Lyle Jam Sugar is a 6 minute boil! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 23, 2008 Author Share Posted June 23, 2008 OOh I need a label factory programme Where did you get it from? I have had it for ages & ages - if was a freebie with the computer I must say that I use it a lot - we have our own business & I do all the comp slips & so forth on it too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Sarah, the jam looks lovley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 weather and time permitting, we're going here to get our fruits this year as our fruit bushes/trees aren't established enough yet http://www.eddisbury.net/acatalog/Pick_Your_Own.html must check with them to see if the goosegogs are ready yet OOOh...I used to work here in the summer picking strawbs, whilst at college and between jobs. Really hard work for not much money! Slave labour! Havent been strawberry picking since. I might consider it though as the jam looks so nice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted June 24, 2008 Share Posted June 24, 2008 Useful link on the different sugars - I'd assumed Jam and Preserving sugar were the same thing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 24, 2008 Share Posted June 24, 2008 weather and time permitting, we're going here to get our fruits this year as our fruit bushes/trees aren't established enough yet http://www.eddisbury.net/acatalog/Pick_Your_Own.html must check with them to see if the goosegogs are ready yet OOOh...I used to work here in the summer picking strawbs, whilst at college and between jobs. Really hard work for not much money! Slave labour! Havent been strawberry picking since. I might consider it though as the jam looks so nice. I made some strawberry jam last week, just had some on crumpets for breakfast while watching the girls from the conservatory, bliss! If you want me to get you some goosegogs by the way, just let me know. I hope it doesn't rain! See you soon xxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 24, 2008 Share Posted June 24, 2008 Take some gloves. As I recall these were the worst thing to pick. You would get more cash per pound picked though because they were such a pain to pick. Good Luck. Im not keen on gooseberrys. Bit sour. HFW's goosegogg granita looked quite nice though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Can someone post up exactly how to turn a deluge of blackcurrants into jam for a box-fresh jam virgin? This kinda thing isnt my area of expertise....ta x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 (edited) Here you go M'Dear. You'll need plenty of jam jars, which you can sterilise by washing, then putting still damp into a moderate oven to nuke any bugs. I am sure that you know this, but be warned that hot jam is terrible for burns, so take care. Edited July 2, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Clare I am baffled and mystified by your reply! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Sorry Rhapsody, I thought I'd pasted the link in... here it is http://thefoody.com/mrsbpreserve/blackcurrantjam.html Hmmm, wonder where that went then... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 How did the jam making go Rhapsody? I love blackcurrant jam Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 Me too, with scones and clotted cream Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 5, 2008 Share Posted July 5, 2008 How did the jam making go Rhapsody? I love blackcurrant jam I havent done it yet I am currently collecting jars, and showing off making sponge cake (see other thread) until my husband begged for mercy today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 5, 2008 Share Posted July 5, 2008 Has he gone into shock? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 6, 2008 Share Posted July 6, 2008 Success! Picked my blackcurrants this morning with the chooks watching furiously from behind the netting and have made 4 jars of various sizes and two ramekins over in the fridge. TBH it went a bit too 'set' so I would prob not cook it for quite as long next time (I used Jam Sugar) but it tastes great and is my fave flavour of jam! Now, how do I make Redcurrant Jelly? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 6, 2008 Share Posted July 6, 2008 We just use granulated sugar for our jam (blackcurrant) - I know it has to be stirred constantly, but half the fun is drooling because of the delicious smell wafting from the pot. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 We use granulated for black currant jam and for redcurrant jelly and for anything with gooseberries in it because they all have a high pectin content. Glad the jam making was a success, Rhapsody how about making some scones for all that jam *runs to hide from flying frisbee* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 We use granulated for black currant jam and for redcurrant jelly and for anything with gooseberries in it because they all have a high pectin content For goodness sake! Its a mine field!!! Glad the jam making was a success, Rhapsody how about making some scones for all that jam *runs to hide from flying frisbee* Oh scones I can do, chuck it all in a bowl type cooking is right up my street! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 If scones work in your oven, and you can cook most other things it sounds like oven temperature is the problem with cakes. I hate using different ovens when in other peoples' houses or on holiday you never know quite what they will do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...