Yorkshire Pudding

Cat soiling problem - good news and bad news...

My old moggy Marmite, who is at least 12 (she was a stray so we can't be sure) has suddenly started to use our lovely fluffy rug as a litter tray. She wet it yesterday and when I came down this morning she had wet in several areas, and left a smelly heap in the middle :oops: .

She has constant access to her litter tray through the night and has never soiled anywhere in the house before. I haven't changed her food, sleeping place, type of litter or anything else and we've had the rug for years too - she was never attracted to it before now :? , she didn't even like to walk on it.

I've had to clean the rug ( :vom: ) and confined her to the kitchen while I was out so that she couldn't repeat the offence.

OH suggests stitching her bottom up :shock: . Can anyone suggest a more practical way to prevent this happening again?

Edited by Guest

With an old cat habits are hard to break I have had to put a couple of rugs away as my old cat keeps scratching them and they were expensive :?

I will put them back when she is gone which at nearlly 20 years old can't be far off - can it :shock:

There are sprays you can get that cats don't like the smell off or you could try white pepper sprinkled on it and see if it stops the attraction but apart from that I am really not sure :?

afraid I agree with Claret - weeing in strange places can be a sign of kidney disease or other things. I hope we're both wrong, but it would be worth getting her checked out. She might just have a bladder infection or something.

Once they've used a particular place, they're likely to return to it - it's essential to disguise any smell of wee (er - you probably want to do that anyway, come to think of it! :wink: ) I found Zoflora disinfectant very good for that. Trouble is, I now can't bear the smell of it because I associate it with cat accidents!

Thanks ladies, I will get her checked out ASAP and hope it isn't anything nasty. She is getting on a bit now and we love her dearly, I'd hate her to be feeling ill.

The rug has been removed, but I will keep her in the kitchen with her tray for the time being when we're not home. If the weather is good she's happy to sleep the day away outside instead of indoors.

At our previous house she had a cat-flap, but we moved here last September and all the doors are double-glazed glass, so we haven't been able to put one in for her, hence the litter tray. She's always been as good as gold using it until now. Poor old girl!

Aww poor little puss. As she has always been clean. to suddnely start soiling in the house could well mean she is either upset [Has a BULLY cat moved into the neigbourhood?] or has already been mentioned ,she is unwell...possible urine infection or form of cystitis. Hope you can get her to the vet's soon.

We are off to the vet tomorrow evening, with a urine sample (getting that is going to be tremendous fun :liar: ). I'm hoping it's just a one-off and she's had an accident then returned to the same place due to the scent, but better safe than sorry I think. She needs her annual vaccinations too so if possible we'll do everything in one trip!

Will let you know how she does. Thanks for your good advice - the forum is my first port of call whenever I have a problem these days!

urine sample - I have to do that for my old diabetic ginger boy. A litter tray filled with clean aquarium gravel gives the impression of being cat litter , but it is non absorbant and you can just pour it off into a pot when they have finished :oops: Also - dont use discinfectants or anti bacterial spray to clean up animal mess - it has the same chemicals as the urine and will encourage them to use the same spot. Biological washing powder or a purpose made cleaner will get rid of the smell for the cat as well as you. Hope things go ok at the vet :?

I was going to suggest biological washing powder as well - we were told to use this when we got Cookie as a puppy.

I also think that if its not normal for the cat to mess in the house then something might possibly be up with the poor thing. Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Also - dont use discinfectants or anti bacterial spray to clean up animal mess - it has the same chemicals as the urine and will encourage them to use the same spot. Biological washing powder or a purpose made cleaner will get rid of the smell for the cat as well as you.

Thanks Bellekatz, I knew there was a reason why most disinfectants don't work to stop the cat doing it again, but I couldn't remember what it was! Strange but true, most disinfectant does apparently have the same stuff in it as cat-wee. Hmm, that says a lot doesn't it!

Zoflora is brilliant, but do let it dry before letting puss cat near it - I poisoned my cat once through his pads :( Hope the little darling is ok - we've had soiling problems on and off, but can happily say that it's all fine now (except we need to buy a new living room carpet).

Well, we went to the vet and it turns out she has diabetes.

Her kidney function, thankfully, is fine. However she has been losing weight over the last few months (which we attributed to her being more active in our new, much bigger garden), but I had noticed she was drinking a lot recently. It certainly accounts for the first 'accident', after which she probably just returned to the same spot again.

The vet says there is a good chance it can be managed with a low-carb diet and may not need insulin, so we're having a blood test on Monday and then a 6-week diet trial followed by another blood test to see if it helps.

Fingers crossed.

Well obviously that's not great news, but it could be worse! It does explain the reason for the soiling, and sounds as if it can be managed ok.

Glad to hear you've found out the reason - good thing you acted quickly, before she got really ill. Hope the treatment works ok.

Helen, I have a diabetic cat - which is managed well with Glibenese tablets twice a day ( i have to crush them on his food as he is a grumpy old so and so these days!!) My vet asked me to try then for a week at first but doubted very much they would work - it seems they work better in dogs than cats. However - 3 years later he is still on them, his diabetes is well managed and he doesnt need a special diet ( we did try science plan m/d biscuits that he loved but so did all the other cats and they were very expensive - now he just has normal good quality food and hes sugar levels are fine) If you want to know any more just send me a pm.

Jayne

Well she is on Diabetes management food for the next month - her blood test confirmed the diabetes. Sadly it also showed a raised level of eosinophils, which can mean an allergy, or parasite infection, or could mean she has cancer.

After a month on the new diet the vet will give her a good once-over to see what the eosinophils mean. I'm hoping for one of the former options, obviously. She's an absolute treasure and the thought that we might lose her is too much to think about just yet.

Fingers crossed please.

An update as things seem to be moving on.

We have had a month on the diabetes management diet and Marmite has put on weight, her coat is glossy and for an old lady she is generally more perky. So we took her to the vet for her second set of tests feeling optimistic that the result would be better. And in terms of diabetes, it is.

However, the news on the other results is not good - 'seriously abnormal' was how Jude the vet put it.

Her eosinophil count is still far too high. In addition her globulin (antibody) level has risen dramatically over the month. We are now having a globulin electrophoresis done (thank goodness for pet insurance) to establish whether this is due to a viral infection or a cancer of the lymphatic system. I have a suspicion he thinks the latter is the more likely outcome. We will have a result in a couple of days.

On the bright side, I still have my lovely old moggy, who is well in herself, not in any discomfort or pain, adores us and is adored in return. I have a feeling I will have to make a difficult decision if her condition deteriorates, and am dreading that, even though I know what the 'right' decision would be. We have already started discussing the possibilities with the children but they will be heartbroken if (when) the time comes.

I'm feeling a bit low about it at the moment and I am really not looking forward to the phone call from the vet over the electrophoresis result.

Sorry to hear about the latest results - lets hope it is just a virus after all. We have been preparing for "That moment" for Jaffa for the last three years - the diabetes is just one of his problems but as yet it hasnt come. Lets hope that things improve for Marmite as well.

The results of the electrophoresis are in, and they show bands indicating inflammation and also gamma globulins which may indicate the early stages of B-cell neoplasia.

In English, she probably has early lymphatic cancer.

The good news is that while her quality of life is good, and it is, we need do nothing for the time being. In 4 to 6 weeks we could repeat the electrophoresis to see what the situation is. If she deteriorates, then there is little that can be done to treat her, especially bearing in mind that she is quite an old lady.

So I am not going to have to face the inevitable hard decision just yet... I can keep my lovely old furry girl for a while longer.