eeyoreshunny Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 I have some fresh beetroot and wondered if anyone could tell me how to cook it up please ( cause i love it) and also any recipe suggestions for chard as i have quite a lot of it and don't want it going to waste Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 I cook beetroot in the microwave....... Wash the roots and twist off the leafy tops leaving about an inch on the roots - give the tops to the hens....... Put the beetroots in a microwave dish and cover. Cook on high for about 10 minutes. Check as you would potatoes to see if they are cooked. Leave to cool slightly and then rub the cooked skins off. I eat them hot as a vegetable or with roast veggies (whole roast onions are good) and a small amount of very rich cheese sauce of cheese fondue Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 4, 2008 Share Posted July 4, 2008 I love Beetroot too, & just peel & roast it,with some olive oil for about 40mins - gorgeous! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 4, 2008 Share Posted July 4, 2008 I agree with Sarah roasted beetroot is fantastic and if you mix it with other veggies and roast them together everything turns a lovely colour The tip about the microwave is a good one because boiling them is a bit of a pain and in these energy saving times not very efficient. Thanks Lesley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 4, 2008 Share Posted July 4, 2008 ooh forgot about the chard. I cook the leaves like spinach and it can be used in any dish where spinach is used. The stalks need a bit more cooking. If it is the variety with large white tender stalks, remove the leaves and then steam or boil the stalks until tender and serve with butter and black pepper, or chop them into chunks and use as a side veg. I find the leaves are better cooked in their own washing water like spinach rather than boiled or steamed they tend to go a bit grey when steamed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tina C Posted July 4, 2008 Share Posted July 4, 2008 I love this recipe for chard: http://www.rivernene.co.uk/recipes/recipe.php?recipeid=104&catid=5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 4, 2008 Share Posted July 4, 2008 I have a great couscous & chard recipe which I have been wanting to try for ages,but I can't get chard anywhere Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 5, 2008 Share Posted July 5, 2008 Grow some It is pretty easy to grow much easier than spinach and it will stand over the winter and give early spring greens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 5, 2008 Share Posted July 5, 2008 Oh and could you post the recipewith the cous cous please Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Abbey Road Girl Posted July 5, 2008 Share Posted July 5, 2008 Thanks for the recipe for chard with garlic and parmesan, Tina. Chard can still be planted now (I think) and is very easy to grow. I was thinking of growing some in a pot for the hens, but the chard in the allotment is (mostly) mine! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 6, 2008 Share Posted July 6, 2008 We add chard to vegetable soup, chopped small, or stir fries when our son isn't at home (little carnivore turns his nose up). Or pick off small leaves and put in salads - great if you use Rainbow chard, the stalks come in different yellows, creams, pinks or reds or Rhubarb chard which has bright red stalks. I don't like beetroot, but OH loves it and the smell of it boiling makes me (better not say), so I am so pleased to read about the microwave method. I can tolerate a little raw beetroot grated in a salad, though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 I planted Chard a few weeks ago - just being impatient! I have done the rainbow one - looks very pretty! I have lost the blooming recipe now (its somewhere safe ),but will try to dig it out for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 Found it, & also this one on the Waitrose site. http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Swiss_Chard_Tart.aspx This is the couscous one............ CHARD WITH COUSCOUS,RAISINS,PINE NUTS & LEMON OIL Soak 85G GOLDEN RAISINS OR SULTANAS in enought water to cover for 10 mins Place 300G COUSCOUS in a bowl & add 280ML VEG STOCK.Stir & leave for 15 mins. Seperate the leaves from the stalks of 1KG CHARD. Slice stalks 5mm thick.Cook leaves in boiing water for 5 mins,then drain,rinse in cold water & drain again.Chop coarsley. Heat OLIVE OIL in a large pan & fry off CHARD STALKS,1 MED RED ONION & 2 CRUSHED GARLIC CLOVES, for 5 mins. Add 2TSP CUMMIN SEEDS,1TSP FENNEL SEEDS & 1TSP TUMERIC & cook for a few more mins. Add the chard leaves,2TBSP PINE NUTS & the drained raisins or sultanas.. Stir in the Couscous,season. Whisk FINELY GRATED ZEST & JUICE OF A LEMON & 200ML OLIVE OIL. Mix 2 tbsp into the couscous mix,& leave the reast to add to taste. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 Thanks Sarah that sounds yummy my girls will love that, they are both so bored with sandwiches and want past and cous cous in their lunch boxes instead. DS still likes a bit of bread to get his teeth into Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...