bunnywarren

Worried sick - Please help

Our 2 baby netherland dwarfs were born 6 weeks ago and up until the last 3 days everything was text book. Now one of the babies is losing weight and appears so much smaller than his sibling despite being the biggest initially. He isn't moving around the hutch as much he just seems to sit there and sway from side to side as if in-balanced! He isn't eating or drinking like the other baby and its got my vet puzzled to. I have been a breeder for sometime and i have never seen these symptoms before. Could anyone give advice???????

I have done and the vet has no idea what's wrong. The only time i have ever seen these symptoms before was in an adult rabbit i rescued that was found to have viral haemorrhagic disease. The other kit and mum are absolutely fine so i am at a loss as to what is wrong with him.

I don't know if this will be of any help, I'm not an expert, but similar happened to me, I bought 2 rabbits, brothers, all ok then one went down hill, I use to see the other lying almost on top of him, I thought keeping him warm, by the time he got to the vet he was too week and sadly died, he was always weeker, but the vet did sugest bullying, not getting drinks for 24 hurs will make a rabbit very week very quickly. Maybe you could separate them feed the bunny baby food which was sugested by my vet and see if it will take a drink from a spoon, just lots of tlc. Hope this helps and bunny pulls thruogh.

Well what a difference a day makes...Berty seems to have picked up a little and after a second opinion the vet seems to think he could have licked a slug/snail. I am not convinced but he is better than the last few days. I hope he is turning the corner now. Thanks for all your help...aren't bunny owners the best????!!!! :D:P

I don't mean to make you worry but if I were you keep a close eye on him, I had a baby netherland dwarf with similar symptoms and I was about to take him to the vet before he perked up but within a few weeks he died whilst convulsing and I had never seen him do anything like that before. I have since read that rabbits can have epilepsy but unfortunately this all happened so fast the vet never got chance to see him and was at a loss what could have happened. Since then I have been over-protective of my other two and have had them checked out at every slightest little thing so I'm probably over reacting, I just wish I'd have taken my poor little clover to the vets sooner as I could have got him some medication or at least some warning.