Martin B

Carnegie Awards

Calling all book lovers!

I thought I'd let you know about the Carnegie Awards that I am involved with. The Carnegie awards is a yearly award for the best books produced in that year. The books must all be in English, and nominated by Librarians across the country. The Carnegie award gives the winning author a lot of publicity and money :roll: However it is very important to the world of English.

This year I have volunteered to join our schools panel of 10 judges. We meet up reguarlly and exchange books etc.

The group also recieved two days off school! 1) To meet an author of one of the books, we will be meeting Frank-Cotterrel-Boyce(writer of millions). 2)To go and meet the english writing chief executive(something like that).

Anyway I am really enjoying it and I am now on my second book. When I finish a book I'll update the list and give it a mark out of 10 and a quick overview for anybody interested.

The books bominated are:

Clay- David Almond

Framed- Frank Cotterell-Boyce

The White Darkness- Geraldine McCaughrean

Turbulence- Jan Mark

(I couldn't put this book down it was pretty amazing. However the book tailed you down one route into believing something was going to happen, however it was a very flat, boring ending! :( 7/10)

Tamar- Mal Peet

(Currently Reading)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Martin - I would like to hear what you are reading & enjoying as my 13 year old daughter is a real bookworm& I may get some tips as to what to buy her.

Did you read "Millions".I have heard its very good,but not read it myself.

I love books,& usually read one a week.

I am currently on "The Constant Princess" by Phillipa Gregory whos previous work I have enjoyed.

Its a great book if you like historical drama & is obviously well researched.

Devon (my daughter) has just read "The 5 people you meet in heaven" by Mitch Albom,which she loved. She is now reading "The time travellers wife" - one of my favourites.

I would love to know some of your faves Martin.

I really like talking books with people & its great to get a younger persons perspective too :D

Ooooohhhhh - had an idea.

Maybe we should get together an Omlet book group.....

It might be tricky to organise,but if we can get people reading the same book then posting (on a sticky) what we think of it,it might work :P

What do you think??

I don't mind doing the organising :D

Ooooohhhhh - had an idea.

Maybe we should get together an Omlet book group.....

It might be tricky to organise,but if we can get people reading the same book then posting (on a sticky) what we think of it,it might work :P

What do you think??

I don't mind doing the organising :D

Good Idea! :lol:

Thanks Martin - I would like to hear what you are reading & enjoying as my 13 year old daughter is a real bookworm& I may get some tips as to what to buy her.

Did you read "Millions".I have heard its very good,but not read it myself.

I love books,& usually read one a week.

I am currently on "The Constant Princess" by Phillipa Gregory whos previous work I have enjoyed.

Its a great book if you like historical drama & is obviously well researched.

Devon (my daughter) has just read "The 5 people you meet in heaven" by Mitch Albom,which she loved. She is now reading "The time travellers wife" - one of my favourites.

I would love to know some of your faves Martin.

I really like talking books with people & its great to get a younger persons perspective too :D

I have read and watched Millions and it is very good. It has a very good plot and alot of positive conflict! :lol:

My two favourites are very childish ones but they are Esio Trot and also THe dragon that squeaked! :oops::wink:

I read Millions when I did Carnegie last year (I cant do it this year as I have left school :lol: ). I didnt think that the book had any substance to it... I felt that it was a book of a film and the film wasnt of the book.

Now, I have heard from my sister ( doing carnegie this year) that Framed is very good, although I havent had chance to read it...

If anybody wants a good summer read... the Artemis Fowl Series of books are well worth the time spent reading them. Mortal Engines is a good book, and its sequels Predators Gold, Infernal Devices (im in the middle of now) and A Darkling Plain (next up), are also apparently good...

Myles

Myles - I am a big Artemis Fowl fan :D

In fact I like all of Eoin Colfers books - The Supernaturalist was great too.

I like books that sort of cross over between childrens & adults...His dark materials I loved too,& the Harry Potters of course :D

There is a new one of this ilk called "The Boy in the striped pjyamas" which I will get when it is out in paperback.

Eoin Colfer is good, did you read The Wish List?

I havent read any of the dark materials... I really need to after my exams. I liked the first few Harry Potter Books, but then they just started to get full of padding and it started to irritate me a little. The first films were bad too...

The Wish List is one of my favourite books.

I just love the stuff he writes & think he has written some of the best & funniest characters ever (like Foaly)

Do read the His Dark Materials trilogy.It isn't to everyones taste,but both The Hubby,The daughter & I thought they were a cracking good read :P

Myles - I am a big Artemis Fowl fan :D

In fact I like all of Eoin Colfers books - The Supernaturalist was great too.

I heard Eoin Colfer do a talk at the Hayes Book Festival last year - I had tickets with my three kids - He was soooooooo funny - my 9yr old daughter nearly wet her pants with laughter (as did I) - and he is such an engaging speaker. My oldest - Hywel had his book signed.

Colfer says he always insists his books have shiny covers - because boys will read things with shiny covers!!

I think he does tours sometimes - I've seen his name advertised at - he is WELL worth going to see...

Phil