alih

gapeworm and flubenvet

Custard is still not right and this morning has been yawning and shaking her head which makes me wonder if she has gapeworm. They are day 4 into a course of flubenvet. will that get rid of gapeworm if it is that and how long does it take for them to show signs of recovery? advice as always very welcome, thank you in advance. :?

If they have gapeworm, they need a double dose of flubenvet, and there is a egg withdrawal period, during the course and for a week after.

They can shake their heads fro reasons other than gapeworm.

Earmites, or an ear infection can also cause that.

In addition to the other advice here, have you checked her crop? I thought one of my hens had gapeworm because of the extreme neck movements, but it turned out she had an impacted crop.

I double dosed with Flubenvet. I was reluctant to throw away all the eggs so I used them in cakes, custards etc where the Flubenvet would be very diluted.

yes have checked her crop - her mate had a crop problem a couple of weeks ago so was on high alert for that. Thanks guys. Have upped the flubenvet and today she seems much more normal - eating and drinking and moving about rather than sleeping and lying down. I reckon it was worms and the flubenvet has kicked in. No eggs for 4 days but she is cramming her face with pellets as I speak so fingers crossed back to normal soon. :D