Matthew

Concerned: Reduction in number of eggs...

All,

Our chickens have been behaving just as they normally, and are not noticeably 'unwell' but the number of eggs is almost down to zero... When they are out free ranging at weekends they run around... scratching and pecking and running after the treat bowl like normal. (Treats have been reduced dramatically recently to make sure they are eating pellets)

The reduction in eggs was proceeded by an increase in soft shelled eggs and we have been refeeding them baked shells and then additionally with limestone flour when this did not do the trick as in the past.

We've also wormed them as well in the last week

We've had them about 10 months and they have been laying for about 8 very regularly up until about a month ago.

K is starting to get very concerned as they seem 90% okay...red wattles/combs.. alert, still dust bathing, clear eyes, normal gait... crops not impacted... no sign of eggbound by feel... a little down in food consumption, but I think that is a symptom of not laying rather than the other way round...

What would the panel recommend as some next steps?

Any chance, as you say they are free ranging, that have found a new secret place to lay? Lawnmower boxes, flowerpots or under bushes are favourites

Only free range at weekends at the moment while this is an issue

..lay a little egg for me Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:30 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance they could be moulting?

Definitely not

Flubenvet and we've been adding limestone flour for about two weeks now...

.. its all very puzzling....

.. we've considered them eating the eggs but given the lack of evidence other than when they have laid a softie we are ruling that one out

We had exactly the same thing Matthew and I went into overdrive - got them on flubenvet, limestone flour, red mite powder the works :oops: Looking back though, I am pretty sure the changes in the weather didn't help either, and everything went back to normal after a week or so. Hope that happens for you.

I'm having the same problem too, one of mine has stopped laying completley following laying a softie, and the other 2 are only laying every other day! they have always layed one each every day up til know....but other than that they are fine...I'm adding extra grit and have checked for mites and lice and have wormed them....other than that i think its just going to be a waiting game :?

Sharon x

Mine have been laying less in the last couple of weeks and when I wormed them about a month ago that week laying went way down.

I think the season is slowing down, as far as I can tell they have their peak laying period in March April time then it tails off a bit, but they carry on laying until about October when they moult.

Mine are looking very tatty at the moment and have quite a few bald patches but have not stopped laying, I am constantly checking for mites etc but they seem fine. I think that they are getting worn out by long daylight hours and a season of laying, they need a holiday :roll:

I think it's their hormones telling them that it is now too late in the year to contemplate bringing up any chicks this year, as chicks hatched in August would still be growing up when winter comes.

My hens have definitely slowed down too (especially the pure breeds, which haven't been bred to lay every day anyway).

Weird. Mine have done exactly the same. Lots of soft shelled eggs followed by barely an egg or two a day compared with at least 6 a day when they were in full swing.

I've wormed, gritted, Poultry Spiced, Bokashied and Citricidaled them all as per normal routine but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Next stop nit check...

Glad I stumbled across this thread as my girls also seem to be producing 2 eggs a day between them. I put it down to the hot but wet weather and also they seem to be growing their flight feathers back on their clipped wings so maybe they're putting more energy into that.

It's not just mine, then!

Jo

Update:

We have one chicken back laying regularly and on Sat we had a two egg day but back to one on Sunday but an improvement nevertheless...

..plus momo is losing feathers so we think is moulting so this may explain her lack of production

Update:

We have one chicken back laying regularly and on Sat we had a two egg day but back to one on Sunday but an improvement nevertheless...

..plus momo is losing feathers so we think is moulting so this may explain her lack of production