alphabill

chicken broken leg help!

Hi

My chicken Dilys has broken her leg. She is with the vet now being x-rayed. If the break is in the joint she can't be saved. If it is in her leg they say they can splint it and wait for it to heal.

What are the chances of her pulling through I don't want to put her through any unneccessary suffering but I also don't want to lose her as she is such a dear.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Catherine

If she is splinted the chances are very high. My grandad used to splint his own chickens & every single one pulled through - including a Canadian goose he caught who returned every year for the following 5 years with her chics.....fingers crossed for you.

Dilys has broken her leg where it is repairable. Thank goodness! She now has a splint bandages, painkillers and antibiotics. The vet wants to see her again on Friday. She was loved by all the staff at the vets because she has a lovely placid nature. So I feel less daft about crying about a chicken in front of them this morning.

So hopefully all will go well. Doris accepted her back into the run with no trouble, so far so good.

Thanks for all your help.

I will keep you posted.