Guest The Hodkinsons

Pecked at and sore

My two new girls continue to be harrassed by Amber (today is day 5). They are getting along fine with eachother, but both Ruby and Scarlet now have some sore scabby injuries on their 'hats', where Amber has had a peck. They are sleeping together without problems, but all three together out in the run is a 'no no' so far. I have put up a cane divider and they are then all happyish, they are also ranging the garden without too much fuss, but the occasional assault by Amber has left the two new girls with some cuts and grazes. I have put a little vaseline on so far, thinking it will at least soothe them, but can someone tell me what I SHOULD be putting on them, assuming Savlon is not for hens...? I'm also thinking about ordering some AntiPek spray from the shop, thinking that might at least make Amber think twice....? Any advice be greatly appreciated.

tea tree oil (diluted with water) and sprayed on is a good antiseptic, or gentian violet (equestrian shops or possibly from a pharmacy) is also good. Chickens will peck more if they see blood, so the gentian disguises the colour - although beware, it can stain your clothes apparently.

It may be worth getting the anti-peck spray if this continues.

Thanks, I have tee tree oil to hand - I use it myself to ward off the mozzies. Will round up the girls and apply a little diluted in water, as suggested. Him Indoors will be dispatched to the pharmacy to see if we can get Gentian Violet. Thanks Olly, really appreciate you taking the time to help. Amber says 'DRAT', Ruby and Scarlet say 'BOK BOK BOK, thankyou'

I kept ours separate for 10 days before we introduced them. Only putting them altogether at night time once the older chicken was well asleep (when very dark) and manually lifted them out very very early just as the sun came up. We also allowed them to range in the garden but closely supervised

May not work for you but once we put them altogether after all that agony it worked really well and only mild bullying going on now

Kairen

I am happy to report after a fairly trying week, it does seem to have settled down a little. Ruby is still likely to be the target, but it's not relentless now, and not as vicious. Dilute tea tree oil worked on the grazes and nips, and they seemed to enjoy it being applied! I'm thinking Amber didn't like the taste or smell maybe ? Have now received my order from the shop, of a carton of pek stop, and actually probably don't need to go down that road now - at least I have it for any newbies in future, or if any of them decide to become OCD feather pullers in future! Believe me, I am learning ANYTHING is possible with chooks. Thanks again, y'all are so kind giving advice here. :)