Jane 20

Olivia's poorly...

she's been sitting by herself most of the day, not responding to treats and earlier this evening she retired to the nestbox. I tried to stroke her but she protested so I left her alone - we did find a softie in the garden but I think it was a few days old. Has any one any ideas? Not much to go on I know..... :(

Straining, attempting to lay an egg constantly.

If you examine her lower abdomen, you might feel an egg sitting there.

If you observe her trying to lay an egg and not succeeding, you could carefully grease round the vent with vaseline and then hold her over some steaming water, and the egg might pop out.

Don't be tempted to tinker around inside the hen in case the egg gets broken.

No I don't think its that - she seems a bit brighter today - she hasn't laid and did go and sit in the nestbox but was happy to come out for treats, I'm thinking it might be a softie, hopefully she will show more improvement tomorrow. Thxs for help.

Unfortunately Olivia took a turn for the worse today - we took her to the vets who was v knowledgable (keeps chickens herself) who thought it was either heart disease or peritonitus so we decided to let her go to chicken heaven. Poor Olivia :(