GKH

Poorly ex-bats

Hi All

i'm new to chicken keeping. I got my 3 ex-bats about 2 months ago. They are a poorly lot, one is blind in one eye one had a broken wing and one has a broken leg (her femur or equivalent) The one with broken leg seems very sad :cry: . The lady at the rescue place said she would be okay but i wondered if it could be mended. Does anyone know any good chicken vets in the woking area? Do chickens have surgery?

Any advice is appreciated

thx

Hello there GHK.

Your ex-battery babes do sound poorly but they have obviously found a very loving home with you :D

I would get the chookies with the broken leg & wing to any vet ASAP to get them seen to. They maybe in some pain and this will need dealing with.

Arnica pillules from Boots or any good health store would be good to add to their water and this will help with any bruising they may have.

Are they all eating & drinking well and are you adding poultry spice to their food and giving them lots of protien like mealworms and maggots? :?

Edited by Guest

Hi All

i'm new to chicken keeping. I got my 3 ex-bats about 2 months ago. They are a poorly lot, one is blind in one eye one had a broken wing and one has a broken leg (her femur or equivalent) The one with broken leg seems very sad :cry: . The lady at the rescue place said she would be okay but i wondered if it could be mended. Does anyone know any good chicken vets in the woking area? Do chickens have surgery?

Any advice is appreciated

thx

I just wanted to confirm that these aren't BHWT ex batts. We wouldn't knowingly rehome hens with these problems. These would stay with a coordinator as 'poorlies'.

Buffie x