Murdo

Antibiotics and eating eggs

Anyone know if eggs from a hen on antibiotics are still OK to eat ?

(Hen (sorry - Rosie) is on Baytril for a few days. Probably just precautionary but friends will be looking after her next week so we're taking no chances.)

When Pepper had Baytril, we were told not to eat the eggs for at least 7 days after the last day of treatment. I did notice on the other forum they were disputing this to some lengths, the min being 7 days the max 28 days.

Obviously while she is on the antibiotic DO NOT eat the eggs.

Maybe some others will be along to help. :wink:

Never having had to give the girls antibiotics, I have no idea. Is it worth ringing the vets tomorrow and asking their advice, Murdo. It would be good to have a professional opinion as there's some confusion on other forums. I've posted another link to this topic in the sick chicken sticky for future reference too - hopefully we'll get a definitive answer from your vet.

I definitely wouldn't let children eat eggs if unsure about antibiotics I am allergic to every antibiotic so far developed!! Really I am I am so sensitive its unbelievable and most of these things start in childhood so if in doubt don't eat if you become sensitised due to small amounts in the diet you could then get problems later on.

Fortunately I have the constitution of an ox and am never ill I swore the last time I took any that was the last time (about 6 years ago) the side effects are worse than any illness :shock:

OK, we have an answer from the vet. But I'm not sure that it was particularly authoritative. Spoke to the reception, who spoke to the vet.

"It's probably not a good idea to eat the eggs"

Enquired further, about how long for, and the vet went to check. Slightly more definite was the "not for 7 days after the end of the course"

Can anyone think of anything to do with two weeks eggs ? It seems a shame to just bin them. Omelettes for the dog perhaps ?

This is probably out of date now, but just in case we've just returned from the vets. He showed us his pharmaceuticals manual (supplied by Bayer) which states that its is ok to eat ( :shock: !) your hen after 7 days from the end of the course of Baytril but egg should not officially be eaten for 28 days after the last baytril dose.

Whilst we were there we checked out the official line on worming. With panacur you are supposed to wait 10 clear days before eating the eggs.

However the vet did add that he personally wouldn't bother waiting past 3 days for either!!