Angels4 Posted July 30, 2008 Author Share Posted July 30, 2008 Thank you for your concern. They are POL. I'm told they were shipped from the hatchery and each crate is fitted with a piece of melon per girl which should be enough for two days, but I was expecting them today and I just wanted to be here to help them get settled. I work tomorrow so my sister will pick them up when we get the call. I'm fine although disapointed. My concern is for the girls, it has be rather hot/humid here and I'm hoping they will manage. Lesson learned. In the future I will NOT be ordering ANY chickens that will be sent via post I've been assured that it is very common here without incident but still more than a little worried and embarassed. Well like the saying goes..."Don't count your chickens before they hatch" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Brown Clan Posted July 30, 2008 Share Posted July 30, 2008 Oh how disappointing for you, bless em x keep us posted please , need to know when you get them, (i'm frustrated now) and they are not even my chooks I love my chickens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 30, 2008 Share Posted July 30, 2008 oh no ... how disappointing - I've only just caught up with this thread, and I was really hoping your last thread would be 'they're here!'. Fingers crossed that they are an early delivery tomorrow, but it won't be the same will it if someone else collects them ... I hope that by this time tomorrow, they are safely clucking around in the Eglu and you'll have forgotten all this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 30, 2008 Author Share Posted July 30, 2008 Oh heck. How disappointing for you. Animal welfare regulations must be very different on your side of the pond. Here's hoping they arrive safe and sound. I'm thinking here they view chickens as livestock (not everybody mind you) but not as pets. It is a shame really, but I agreed to have them shipped via post so I'm just as guilty and that is what is tearing me up..Every living thing is sacred and should be treated with respect and dignity. I just thought because it is a common practice here everything would work like clock work...Could I be more wrong. I will just be happy when they arive safe and sound. Thanks again for all your concern folks, and again sorry to get everybodys hopes up. I promise you all will be the first people I tell and the first to see the pictures. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Fingers crossed they'll be with you early today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Hope you have better luck today, I am sure we will all be watching on here to see the arrival... I really hope that they are safe and well and happy to see their new home.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 How disappointing for you. I do hope your girls arrive today! We're all on tenterhooks! I must admit I was shocked at the idea of sending chickens by post! Fingers crossed you get your girls OK. *hugs* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 How sad they didn't arrive when they were supposed to. Fingers xxd they arrive very soon! Can't wait to see the pics! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 31, 2008 Author Share Posted July 31, 2008 I'm sure the girls will arrive tday and I'm hoping they will be ok and yesterday will become a distant memory very quickly. Thanks again for all your concern. It's like the stars were aligned yesterday, as I had a day off work and I would have been home to settle them in. I have to work today, but my sister will pick them up when I get the call. Well, off to work. Fingers crossed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Oh poor you, I really hope they turn up safe and sound for you today! Bet you don't get much work done! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
muzzie Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Oh just getting caught up. So sorry that you have such a stressful start I have been watching for your post of the girls arrival for weeks. I hope that all goes well. I was a wreck when our girls were shipped too, so I do understand what you are feeling. I'm sure everthing will be ok I'll check back later Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 31, 2008 Author Share Posted July 31, 2008 Good Evening everybody!! The girls have arrived safe and sound!! YAY Again, Thank you all for your support and understanding..I was a mess yesterday. I'm happy to report they arived early this morning and they seem to not be under any stress...just a regular day in chicken hood. I just got home from work and want to spend some time with them (and take some pictures) and I promise I will post some in short order. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to many fun filled and entertaining days ahead. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 I'm sooo pleased they've arrived safe and sound. Now I won't be happy till we see pictures. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Hurrah! Had they eaten all the melon? look forward to some pics - bet you're in seventh heaven now your Eglu is finally occupied. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Good news! Can't wait to see the pics. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 So glad they arrived OK...... keep us posted this side of the pond....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Phew - happy ending! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Glad they arrived safely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Brown Clan Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 Yipee!!!! glad they are with you safe and sound enjoy watching your chooks!! can't wait for piccies Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yolky Posted July 31, 2008 Share Posted July 31, 2008 So glad they got to you safely. Had they eaten their melons? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 31, 2008 Author Share Posted July 31, 2008 So I've just spent the last 2 hours watching the girls and I'm simply amazed, I can tell I will be spending loads of time just sitting and chatting with them. My sister and nephews went to recieve them at the post office, so the first batch of pictures were taken by a 3yo,6yo,and a 10yo. I asked my sister if there was melon iside the box and he response was "Well, if there was, it's not there anymore"! I guess they got hungry on thier travels. I'm not sure if this is common but the lot of them have rather picked through tail feathers (you will notice in the photos, which will be dowloaded soon) and I'm hoping they will grow back. The girls themselves look to be varying ages as one girls comb is larger and a bit deeper. They remain skittish and run out of the Eglu if I open the port so haven't had a cuddle or a pet, I'm hoping it won't be long. The names are picked, but I'm waiting for personalities to become more apparent although one of the girls has already been pegged as "Ouiser" as she (the smallest) has been kinda pecky I can hear the famous line from "Steel Magnolias" uttered by the charecter of the same name.."I'm not bitter M'Lynn, I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"! Sorry for my long winded post, but I just can't get over...My girls are home! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted August 1, 2008 Author Share Posted August 1, 2008 8:43pm...Just went out to check on the girls, and it seems they have taken themselves to bed... How clever is that still trying to figure out this photo bucket thing (a bit daft I know), but I will keep trying Have a good sleep everyone in the UK. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted August 1, 2008 Author Share Posted August 1, 2008 I believe Egluntine would even be able to teach the likes of me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted August 1, 2008 Author Share Posted August 1, 2008 I believe Egluntine would even be able to teach the likes of me Hmm .. Wanna bet? I bet when she reads this, she'll be able to help you, no trouble at all! . She taught me .. and probably loads of others too. There is usefull info about pictures from Photobucket on the FAQ page which might help. (Altough it did confuse me a wee bit). Right, I really am going to bed now. (sorry for taking over your post ) xx I know Scrambled.. Please reread my previous post I agreed with you. I think Egluntine is one of the most informative and helpful posters here on the forum and if anybody could teach me it would be her. And not to worry I don't feel as you have taken over my post, I've enjoyed the exchange Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted August 1, 2008 Author Share Posted August 1, 2008 My nephew Alex showed me how to do it He's 10 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...