Troy

Calling Egluntine or..

anyone that can help pls!

Went to check the girls about half an hour ago and found on the run floor an empty soft shell. Then as I was poo picking Phoebe one of the newest girls popped out of the cube and dropped a softie! it was intact but she immediately broke it and started eating it along with the others who joined her.

Thing is 3 of the 4 girls laid 3 normal brown eggs today and yet I find 2 softies?? Can a hen lay more than one egg a day? Even if I assume one of the eggs was laid by one of the girls that didnt lay, what about the second one?

All the eggs up til now have had good shells.

The 2 newbies have only been laying about a week just over and the other 2 longer. Although Maude not regularly.

Is it calcium def. ?

troy

One of my Bluebelles, Annie, has, in her early days of egg laying, laid 2 eggs in one day. The first was a soft shelled egg early in the morning and then she laid a normal, but small egg, later in the afternoon. I know this because I'm a bit sad and I watch who lays what :oops:

When she lays her soft shelled eggs they are usually in odd places, i.e. in the run, but her 'normal' eggs are always in the nesting box.

Lovely creatures and full of surprises :shock::D:D

They can lay more than one a day occasionally, especially when new to laying.

The soft ones probably whistled through the system and didn't linger for long enough in the shell depositing dept.

Things should settle down. :D

Do you know, I always struggle to word this advice so that it makes sense, and there you have it, in a nutshell! 8):lol:

They can lay more than one a day occasionally, especially when new to laying.

The soft ones probably whistled through the system and didn't linger for long enough in the shell depositing dept.

Things should settle down. :D

Do you know, I always struggle to word this advice so that it makes sense, and there you have it, in a nutshell! 8):lol:

That's exactly what happens Guys, they have a shell gland, which the egg passed through on it's way out. In older chooks, or younger ones with egg-tackle problems, this gland sometimes malfunctions and they lay soft shelled eggs.