TAJ

Frontline & chickens

I use frontline on my cats, but went to a chicken place today that recommends using it as a lice preventative every 4 months on chickens - although it is only licensed for cats & dogs.

Has anyone on here used it? and if so what quantity?

Tracy

That is a lot. A friend of mine is a vet who knows a lot about poultry and he said one spray under each wing and around the vent.It can be fatal if over used and there is a 2 week egg withdrawal period.

That dosage is for a hybrid the size of a Bluebelle.

So I guess given the egg withdrawl this is really something to use only as a cure, not as routine for us 'backyard' keepers. It was on a breeders price list that I got last week that they gave it to their hens every 4 months - clearly this advice is only good if you are not eating the eggs!

Tracy

My vet gave me frontline last year for a lice infestation. Both girls had one squirt under the vent and then egg withdrawal for a week - it worked wonders on the lice. I haven't tried to use it as a preventative measure - I put barrier louse powder in the hemcore in the nesting box and this seems to do the trick for the time being. If they did have lice I would have no qualms about using the frontline again.