Angels4

Do chickens throw up?

:| My instinct is that this discharge would be a symptom in an ill hen but absolutely nothing to worry about if she is well. In other words, I'd keep an eye on her to be sure she is her usual self especially in terms of eating & drinking. If she is, then I would assume it was just a harmless reaction to hasty eating.

Let us know if she's OK or not won't you? :)

Thanks for the speedy response to my question. :D

I have been keeping an eye on her all morning, and besides what I thought was throw up, she is fine in every other way, eating, drinking, and being the first to take a dust bath. I've even witnessed her jumping into the air to catch the one or two flies that missed the flitrap. I will continue to observe her throughout and report any perception on my part of her being ill. Thanks again! You folks are the best! :D

Double :vom:

At the last rescue we had a hen with a crop full of air. I held her upside down while Mollie massaged the crop(bit like winding a baby) (please don't hold your babies upside down on my say so) The crop emptied along with some yukky looking white stuff but as I lifted the hen the right wayup the hen shook her head and sprayed my face with the remaining goo :vom::vom::vom:

The hen, by the way, is perfectly fine now, has been christended Blondie and lives with the rehomers. Next time, I'll remember to point the exit point away from me!!

She may just have been eating too fast Hon. introduce some live yoghurt to their diet every now and then, and add some apple cider vinegar to their food.

Hybrid hens are notorious scoffers and will eat vast amounts of absolutely anything, which makes them more prone to crop problems. Keep their diet healthy and inspect them every now and then.

I have just started the yogurt (the girls LOVE it). I've been searching and searching my local "farm" supply and equestrian shops for garlic powder and apple cider vinager, but when asked about poultry supplies the so called farm supply shops point me in the direction of the very back corner of the shop where the selection is not very large. I have some more places to check, but they are a bit of a trek.

That's a shame Mark - are they not into chooks in your area? You should be able to find both of those in equestrian suppliers - that's where I get mine from in bulk. We have brand here called NAF who are a good price.

I have found that "most" people are not into thier chickens to the same degree as myself. I have called the equestrian shops in my area, but sadly most have never heard of "apple cider" use for horses.

This morning I made the trek out of state into NH to purchase some feed, but was only able to find "Non-Organic"...I purchased a small amount of pellets and mash ( I have 100lbs of Organics being shipped to me, which should arrive Wednesday.) Which leads me to a question, well two actually.

When I was buying the mash (as that is all I had planned to purchase) the gentleman at the feed store mentioned I should change to pellets as they are more nutritionally complete (apparentley with mash, the girls just pick out the bits they want).

His reasoning seemed sound. Like bringing a plate of veggies and a plate of candy into a kindergarten class and allowing the children to choose. You guessed it, they most likely will choose the candy. As I don't often believe all I'm told (thought he might be trying to get me to purchase a 50lb bag of pellets). I ask for my fellow forum members, could this be true? Is pellets better than mash and should I change my order to 50lb mash and 50lb pellets?

Secondly, I was able to find garlic powder at this same shop. It is however mixed with "brewers yeast" could this be used as a supplement?

Sorry for the long post as again I'm not sure I trust the man at the feed store, as much as I trust my fellow Omleteers. :D

Hi again Mark

What a pain that you're having to travel so far to find any feed.

Pellets and mash contain exactly the same nutirents (although the mix does vary from one maker to another). But he is quite rigght that they do cherry pick the bits out of the mash - it all goes eventually, but it takes a while. As they like to 'browse' through mash it's quite a good feed if your chooks are real scoffers as it takes them longer to fill up and their crop will get less stretched, also, they are more likely to wrok off the calories and be fitter.

Pellets cause less mess than mash, which they like to flick around, which is why (when I feed mine mash) I put it int he eglu's glug so that they can't get it out.

The brewers yeast shouldn't be a problem as far as I know. Not sure why you can't find Apple Cider Vinegar though - that is very odd as it's a staple for most horse places. :?

Good luck in your quest... any photos of the lucky girls?

Just the photos I've already posted in previous posts. Thier arrival (via USPS), thier first week, thier first dust bath, thier first egg. If you haven't seen them, I'd be happy to post them again. :D:wink:

I'm suprised about the apple cider as well, but all the folks around here look at me as if I'm loopy. The do sell "apple chips" is what I most often hear. :?

Thank you for that link Mark, what lovely boys, chooks and the best colour eglu too 8)

May I suggest though that you don't use hay or straw in the run/housing... they will probably try to eat it at some stage and it'll lead to impacted crop. In fact, if the poorly girl has eaten some, that could be the cause of her problem.

If you are keepong the run in one place, then I'd suggest using either Aubiose or Hemcore in the run (hemp stalk bedding) or some wood chips if you can't find the former. Any of these should be available from a horse feed suppliers.

It's very difficult to diagnose from a distance, but have a good feel of her crop and see if there's a problem... it shoudl be empty in the morning, full at night, feel firm and granular(the food inside it), but not enlarged, rock hard or like a squishy balloon of water.

If she's otherwise well and eating, then just make sure that they get some probiotic (live) yoghurt in their feed and (if you can find any) some apple cider vinegar in their water.

Hemcore and Auboise :( Sadly not available in the US (made of hemp) Big Brother thinks we might smoke it. :roll: I have found an alternative which I'm awaiting shipping it is called guardian horse bedding it is pine wood shavings and is screened to make it dust free and kiln dried to make it more asorbant.

I kinda feel like a dope. I've been searching for wormers and apple cider and lots of other chickeny things and all this time it has been under my nose. All those items are available in the omlet shop. :doh::wall: Anyhow I will place a call later in the week and order a nice supply.

Hope you enjoyed your bank holidays yesterday. :D