The Dogmother

I got worms!

Just took delivery of my worms, so spent this lunchtime bedding them down in the Can o Worms that I bought from Twiglet (thanks Sarah), can't wait to get home tonight to see what they're up to. Phil's laughing at the thought of having baby worms as they breed and reckons that I'll be naming them :roll:

I think that you can do it in a plastic rubbish bin with a tap on the bottom, but it's easier if you have the layered bin like a can o worms so that you can easily lift out the layers and remove the compost rather than digging out the whole bin.

I understand from Graham that worm composting can be rather slow at first and take a while to get going.

:lol::lol:8) Mine said 'Ugghhh'. She's never liked even garden worms; I remember waving them at her as a child and her running away.

They look very lively this morning - crawling everywhere and on top of the moisture mat too. I gave them some stale bread and apple cores yesterday. They won't be over-worked as we don't have a lot of kitchen waste at all.

We'll have to compare notes Kate as we got them around the same time.

I will have worms too soon :P

Have just placed an order for a Can-O-Worms,which unfortunatly ended up being a rather large order as I got a bit tempted by doormats,T-Shirts....the hens have some treats coming too :roll:

Looking forward to getting pet worms though.

I just have to make sure The Hubby doesn't use them for fishing :lol:

Great news Sarah! I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Good idea, Clare. We'll see how we get on. I'm hoping for great things as mine get fed quite a lot! In fact, I'm having to split all the leftovers between the worms and the compost heap! The worms get cooked stuff and the compost bin gets peelings! How it's going to be when the new composter comes, I don't know! Split 3 ways, I suppose!! I'll have compost coming out of my ears :lol::lol: !

Typical that!

I'm not expecting anything to happen quickly - anyone I have spoken to about vermicomposting says that it is slow and you have to be careful not to overload them. That's fine, because we have hardly any kitchen waste, which isn't already eaten by either the bunnies or the chooks.

I do, however, need a garden waste composter. Our local council is doing them for £5 at the moment, ao I shall be tempted by one of those soon. I need to reorganise the woodpiles first though and see where I might have some room.

I need some time off work (fat chance!) to do all of this :roll:

Mine seem to be doing ok, I am putting just a little stuff in there at the moment, and making sure to balance the green stuff with brown (paper) stuff and a bit of Bokashi. It really doesn't smell at all, although there are a couple of fruit flies in there when I take the lid off.

The worms seem to be up at the top or in the lid in the morning, which doesn't seem to be a comment on the conditions in their environment as they are down in the 'muck' later on. Reading the leaflet, I think that it's because they are light sensitive and come up to the top when it's dark.

I plan to stir it up a bit today and have a look at how many worms I have and how lively they seem.