Redwing Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 I have found out today that houses under £175K are now exempt from stamp duty - somehow the news of this announced last week passed me by (I was on holiday but was still in England so I don't know how!) I now have £1630 burning a hole in my pocket as we are due to move house in three weeks Eglu Cube or a woodburner......................???? that is the question! The whole moving house process has been a nightmare so I am so excited to get some good news! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Fantastic I'd be tempted to go for the wood burnder though (but save up for the cube ) Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 BOTH!!!! But do you want or or or or or !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted September 8, 2008 Author Share Posted September 8, 2008 I saw the cubes close up for the first time at the Amateur Gardening Show yesterday and they were great! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
little chickadee Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 I would go for the woodburner and save up for the cube personally. Both are great choices though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KimmyCustard Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Get the woodburner and the money you save on gas this winter will pay for your Eglu! Kimmy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 I am sure that you will have enough for both - unless woodburners are much more than I thought! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 definitely woodburner! Save on your gas and electric and be nice and toasty for the winter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 You have enough for both surely? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Marple Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 You have enough for both surely? It depends upon whether you live in a smokeless zone or not as if you do then you can only burn wood in a Defra approved wood burning stove. We have been researching these and they are not cheap. Very cheapest is the Morso Squirrel about £650 plus flue, liner and fitting would get you close and possibly over your budget - worth it though. Average price is around £1350. Add on flue, liner and fitting........... That's why we are still weighing it up against should we cap our energy prices. :)Still it is a very nice bonus that will go towards something very useful I am sure. woodburner would probably get my vote. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Aah I see. We live in a smokeless zone and can only burn certain fuels in the open fire. That reminds me.....must get the chimneys swept. A cool £120 2 years ago. Dread to think what it will be now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KimmyCustard Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Wowee Egluntine, how many chimneys do you have?! Ours was done in May and it was only £40, included sliding the woodburner out and cleaning as we dont have a liner. Is there not a child you can bung up there for a tenner?! Kimmy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BERTIE MCSQUIRTY Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 ours was £60 this week for chimney sweeping Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 8, 2008 Share Posted September 8, 2008 Wowee Egluntine, how many chimneys do you have?! Ours was done in May and it was only £40, included sliding the woodburner out and cleaning as we dont have a liner. Is there not a child you can bung up there for a tenner?! Only two Chimneys. I have a child still at home (well to me he is still a child. ) ....but he is six foot so no use at all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KimmyCustard Posted September 9, 2008 Share Posted September 9, 2008 Hmmm, thats not helpful is it?! Maybe just go for a random child that is passing, bung him/her some pocket money and a dustpan and brush and Bob's your uncle. On second thoughts, maybe go for a girl, at least she'll do the corners....... Kimmy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 9, 2008 Share Posted September 9, 2008 You can borrow one of mine - free of charge, the opportunity to get absolutely filthy is reward enough Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted September 9, 2008 Author Share Posted September 9, 2008 I went on holiday last week with friends and their two year old - I would send you him, it would give him a break from kicking the back of my car seat non stop! Thanks for all your thoughts, I was hoping I would have enough money for both but its no looking promising I was leaning towards an Eglu rather than a cube anyway but my OH has fallen for the 'fifties caravan' stylings of the cube so who knows what we will end up with! (a fifties caravan maybe....) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 I think the woodburner as it will pay for itself eventually. Lovely to read they cahnged the stamp duty level it will help so many people I am sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gracefruit Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 I'd go for the woodburner. As soon as our price-freezing deal with Scottish Gas is over, I'll be installing one. They must pay for themselves quickly these days. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted September 11, 2008 Author Share Posted September 11, 2008 Thanks everyone, I have compromised and got a second hand Eglu so the woodburner it is Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 Woo Hoo! Congratulations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted September 12, 2008 Share Posted September 12, 2008 Congratulations - an excellent compromise Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...