The Dogmother

Meet my new baby

Well, the mad pup has a nasty chest infection - the vet says that they are rampant at the moment :roll: She woke me up in the smal hours of Sunday with her coughing and choking. It was no better in the afternoon and she was very withdrawn so I took her to the emergency vet (had to hock one of my kidneys to pay the bill :roll: )

She's on anti-bs, anti-inflammatories and Benelyn for her cough.

It's quite bad at night and she's snorting and sneezing too, not too bad this lunchtime, so hopefully it's on the mend.

She seemed more lively yesterday evening when we went for a walk, she is still wheezing and sneezing a bit, but the coughing and gagging is much better.

I didn't hear her so much last night, but went down at about 3am to give her more Benylin for her cough and she settled down. Taking her tablets like a trooper though.

Well, the mad pup has a nasty chest infection - the vet says that they are rampant at the moment :roll: She woke me up in the smal hours of Sunday with her coughing and choking. It was no better in the afternoon and she was very withdrawn so I took her to the emergency vet (had to hock one of my kidneys to pay the bill :roll: )

She's on anti-bs, anti-inflammatories and Benelyn for her cough.

It's quite bad at night and she's snorting and sneezing too, not too bad this lunchtime, so hopefully it's on the mend.

Oh dear :(

Steam and olbas oil are brill for shifting what sounds like Bordetella.

Virus .... so Abs are supportive. Always lots about in the summer and responsible for Kennel Cough.

Hope she gets better soonest

Thanks, it does sound that way DA - she's got a lot of mucus which is making her choke and has that honking 'whooping cough' sound that you get with kennel cough.

I use the Olbas Oil trick when Roise has a cold, so will try some on her crate tonight.

The cough is much worse at night and I had to dose her with cough medicine again in the small hours. She seems better today though and I hope that she's pulling through - she's very strong, so it should clear quite quickly.

Well, Ruby seems a lot perkier this morning and gagging/choking less.

I dotted some Olbas Oil (thanks for the suggestion) on the blanket that covers her crate last night and that may have helped. Anyway, we both got some sleep.

I am just relieved that it's a viral/bacterial thing rather than a foreign object lodged in her throat; being a lurcher, she's inclined to steal and scab stuff and I was worried that she'd got a splinter or summat caught in her trachea or oesophagus - that would have meant an operation to remove it :?