The Dogmother

Meet my new baby

how did I miss this????? :shock: I am so sorry Clare!

I am glad she is through the op and on the road to recovery :) When Jessie my spaniel had her op she hated the cone collar so I got her a large baby vest and she wore that.... want to see a pic?? :lol: :lol:

I have to have Suzi spayed sometime soon, I delayed having done for a few personal reasons, but she'll be done probably in the summer school break now to give me all that time with her whilst she recovers.

edited to add her picture

jessieafterop.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That is hilarious Loops, I love the way that she's showing it off too!

I just know that Ruby wouldn't keep a vest or t shirt on for 2 seconds and she's pretty skinny around the waist too.

At the moment, I have taken the dressing off, she's licking her stitches but not nibbling them. I only put the muzzle (which she doesn't seem to mind) on her when I can't be with her. Stitches due out on 3rd March. I wonder why they leave them so much longer than for humans - when I had my hysterectomy, they took mine out after 5 days.

We went walking in Minster Lovell yesterday, ther are some beautiful ruins down by the river Windrush and fields down along the rivers edge and over to the medieval village.

6a00ccff898588673101101632479d860c-500pi

Ruby had the greatest fun racing in circles in the fields

Here's a link to a video of her racing around.

Ruby has a new playmate - Rosie's dad has a young GSD pup called Humphrey

6a00ccff898588673101101632480f860c-500pi

:shock: - Humphrey is going to be BIG!! :shock::D

He's very sweet and totally dominated by Ruby; she's older for a start, taller and being a hound is naturally more dominant.

He has a big but slim head and large paws, but his legs seem short at the moment, perhaps he's going to be one of those dogs who is big but close to the ground. His growth plates are big, so perhaps he will gain in height.

Paola, Ruby loves nothing better than tearing around like that, she can't keep it up for long though :lol:

His legs seem a bit short to me, but perhaps I'm just used to long legged hounds :?

It's possibly a GSD thing - Polo went through a phase where she looked too big for her legs, then overnight she seemed to grow about 3 inches and become all leggy for few weeks before her body caught up with her legs again, and she fell into proportion!

Humphrey had originally been called Bono :roll:

His legs seem a bit short to me, but perhaps I'm just used to long legged hounds :?

dont tell him that he has short legs :lol:

he might get a puppy complex :lol:

awwww, bless, isnt ruby fab

isnt humphrey gorgeous :D

cathy

x

They are so different in build and temperament too, which makes me laugh. Ruby is quick as an eel and twice as bright; Humph is a cuddle monster who takes things slowly and is submissive.

I am fine-tuning Ruby's training now and have found a trainer who works with sight hounds, so knows their needs and foibles. I haven't met her yet but it sounds good; I want to perfect her recall - never a strong point with sight hounds and work on keeping her attention for longer. Ruby also gets really excited around other dogs and people; she is fine with family and greets them quietly but gets so worked up (as Lesley knows :lol: ) when there are people to play with. Again, another sight hound trait and one that will improve with age and as she mellows but I want to get on top of it now if possible. My usual training ploys aren't working this time, so I'm hoping that someone else will be able to identify her triggers and work with it.

Ruby had the most tremendous run this morning with her friend Joss and was worn out when we got back. I am going to see if she will run on a lead if I take her when I go running.... I fully expect her to get excited and trip me up! :roll: