james

Trial access to the forum?

Should people have trial access to the forum?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should people have trial access to the forum?

• Yes - access for 1 day only
    • Yes - access for 2 days
    • Yes - access for 1 week
    • No

• Omlet Staff

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago we discussed opening the forum up to the public and you decided that it wouldn't be a good idea. However, there were thoughts about a trial or reduced access experience. If people are thinking of getting chickens, I would love them to see the forum and what fun it is.

We could it for an hour, a day or a week. What do you think?

James

p.s. Don't worry we are not going to intergrate the forum with Europe!

I get people contacting me through citychicken and wanting to find out more about the eglu. I can answer their specific questions but I know some of them have had access to the forum while making their final decisions and have found it very helpful. The chances of us getting a rogue poster under these circumstances (I voted for 1 week's access) are very remote and easily deleted out by the mods. Some people are keen to keep hens but just feel it is a very big leap to take. I think reading about the experiences of people like themselves is really reassuring.

Yes, I agree - seeing the amount of support that everyone gets from the forum would encourage those who are nervous about chicken keeping. I've gone for one week's access too. We can easily cope with anything that is offensive or abusive - the mods are always around.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments and votes. I will setup the trial scheme to the forum and gallery and if things don't work out I will turn the option off. : )

Let me know how its going,

James

Good idea. I did almost that, in that I bought my Eglu and then had to wait for the girls, and hence had a period where I had no chickens but could use the forum. By the time the grils arrived I felt a lot more confident, had loads of questions answered and knew there was a wealth of knowledge here if I need anything else. Not to mention making friends. I'm sure a trial access would help potential Omleteers

Yes, I voted for 1 week as I can see that the forum is a useful place for would-be owners to ask questions or read up relevant experiences. At first I thought a day would be too short, so maybe a couple, but a week isn't too long, probably just right.

I am against unlimited access for guests, having voted against an open forum, so this sounds a good solution. Presumably the password will give temporary access, or some such clever tech. thing!

Good idea. :D

Unless James finds people saying "Well, I'd nearly decided on the Eglu until I read the forum & found it full of mad people!" :wink:

Thanks to all who voted yes to a trial access for us folk teetering on verge of chicken-dom :) I've been wondering what went on in here...

It looks like a lot of the questions I have are being discussed already so I look forward to having a thorough browse when I'm more awake! My 'Pet Chickens' book arrived yesterday and I read it cover to cover and am now uncontainable in my excitement at the prospect of ordering my eglu and chickens in a week or so.

:)

That's wonderful to hear! I'm glad your questions are getting answered before the hens arrive - you must feel a lot less anxious now!

Good luck when you enter the happy world of chicken keeping and I hope you'll continue to use the forum when you're not outside chicken watching!!

You won't regret it. Keeping chickens is great and I am so pleased, I had a go at eglu door open last night, in readiness for saturday night, as we are away. It worked I had to get up at 4ish with petra (mum and dads boxer) so had a peek, sleeping. They got up about 5.15. They will not be let out that early normally!! Are you listening girls!!!!

have fun with your girls!

Bx :wink:

:D Hello, A Visitor, Glad to hear that you are swept up in the enthusiasm. Reading the book from cover to cover & browsing through the forum? Yes, you sound an ideal Eglu owner!

Do come & tell us all about it, if you go ahead. Meanwhile, enjoy the reading & do ask any leftover questions!

:shock: James .. given the recent thread in "Closed forum" in the nesting box, posted by a guest ... I strongly OBJECT to this forum ever being fully open. If people can come on and be "negative and stirring" in a week, what would longer create ........ not the nice forum we have now, thats for sure. :?

Hi SarahJo and kate and everyone

I have just posted on 'closed forum'. Is the problem here that someone with no intention of owning an eglu is trying to change our forum? :?

The point of this forum for me is the common interest of the eglu and chickens and then anything else we want to talk about. Traditional housing of chickens is great but we have all chosen something different, hence the eglu club. A nice place!!

We have all chosen an eglu that's it. All the relevent info for making the decision is in the on line guide plus at the end of the phone. Bet we all researched this without the forum. I came in early as I had ordered my eglu and that's great.

Don't mind visitors but Eglu owners only please or genuine about to buys. I think it makes more sense to having an eglu club.

Bx

I agree, Buffie - if you're not genuinely interested in Eglus or Eglu owning, please don't come and cause trouble or we will have to ask James to stop the trial access facility as we don't want it spoiling our enjoyment. This would be a terrible shame for those who are interested and just not ready to take the first step without asking opinions of those who have already taken the plunge.

As I've already said in the other posting, anything unpleasant, upsetting or insulting will be moderated.

I'll get off my high horse now :roll::wink: .

Kate, I agree too.

I think it's fair to open the forum to give other people a taster of Eglu life, and to see and enjoy what lovely people you all are in the forum. Any negative posting should be deleted and even maybe put a block on the user if it's offensive.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and truely believe that people are good, if a little misguided sometimes. I also think that 99% of the people who are interested in the forum, will be considering buying the Eglu and their contributions will be positive.

I think there is a fear of the forum being over-run with too many people who haven't got an Eglu. I really don't think this will happen.

If you look at the members list and the amount of people who have an Eglu, and the actual amount of people who use the forum; the forum users are in the minority. You will only ever get a core of people who are loyal to the forum and use it daily, so I think for those who want to use it for questions and queries, keep it open and moderate it.

On the Omlet side of things, it will be good for promoting the Eglu, as well as giving people knowledge of what to expect when keeping chickens. It may also prevent any harm/cruelty if people decide they wouldn't be able to cope, or is really isn't for them, after reading and chatting about keeeping chickens with you guys in the forum.

I, for one, would love more people in my local area to be able to experience the joys of the Eglu and chicken keeping. What a great social circle it would be, of like minded people.

It's always nice to meet new people and to hear of their experiences, and what better way to do it, than in a lovely friendly forum like this.